Financing in Indianapolis>Question Details

Brenda, Both Buyer and Seller in Indianapolis, IN

I want to buy a new house and rent my current one and I am getting conflicting information. One lender told me as long as I have a lease on the

Asked by Brenda, Indianapolis, IN Mon Feb 8, 2010

current one, he can get me approved for a new mortgage, another one is saying that I need at least 25% equity in my current own before I can claim rental income to get a new mortgage. They both swear the other person does not know what they are talking about. Who is right?

Does anyone know if this applies to credit union loans? or do they not go buy the fannie rules?
thanks for all your input John...I truly appreciate it.
I think he is direct is a link to their website
I cannot disclose the broker's name but he is with Century Mortgage here in Indianapolis.
I know that's a Freddie/Fannie/FHA rule...does it still apply although I am getting a conventional loan? One lender said they have their own mortgage company and can approve it without the 25% equity especially because it's not an FHA loan but a conventional one.
Hi Brenda,

John did a good job giving you some clarity. Unless one bank is holding onto your loan, you would need at least 25% equity in the house if you are a first time landlord. Thats a fannie/freddie/fha/ rule. John gave you a good idea of how to get around of it if you can...

When you made the decision to rent your current house and buy a new one to live in, your current home became investment property. How investment property income is treated for purchasing a new home you will occupy varies from lender to lender and loan product to product, whether your new loan will be conventional, and whether the lender you use will sell the loan in the secondary market or portfolio the loan. You need to have a clarifying conversation with each lender. (Loan guidelines can vary from lender to lender.)