Financing in Warwick>Question Details

Mommycoz, Other/Just Looking in Warwick, RI

I own a home....the morgage is in my name....the deed also lists my partner....(we have broken up)....Do I have the right to change the locks?

Asked by Mommycoz, Warwick, RI Thu Jul 29, 2010

Answers

6
Hi, Mommycoz. The general rule is if a person name is on title, they have an interest in and right to the property. Consult with a local attorney regarding your specific situation to see if that still applies. Good luck.
Consult an attorney immediately. Title questions and their answers vary from state to state. It is important to know your state rules and what you can and cannot do.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
Mommycoz,

Did you have a quit claim removing him from the deed? If you haven't done so, you may need to do this first before changing the lock.

Charita King
I am a Realtor and an Attorney (30 yrs), licensed in OH. What I write is only my personal opinion. You need to consult a Domestic Relations Attorney now! Your EX owns half of your home and you are the only one who has to pay the mortgage. Your EX can take actions that can result in liens on your home, etc. Changing the locks is the least of your concerns.
An attorney would be the definitive voice on this, as there certainly could be other relevant factors in play, but:

1) If he's on the deed, he has rights to the property
2) If he in some other way, in writing, forfeited his rights of access, then you can change the locks.

The easiest way would be to get something in writing that acknowledges that it is your private residence, and he is an owner in name only. A lease won't have enough teeth. If he's not amenable, you could buy out his rights and put the deed in your name only, or various other options.
I would get in touch with an attorney ASAP to know exactly what your "rights" are in this situation.