Financing in Freeport>Question Details

Kayakgirl, Home Buyer in Freeport, ME

I live on a private road in Maine. I was denied a refinance mortgage because no legally binding private road agreement exists. There about 10 other

Asked by Kayakgirl, Freeport, ME Thu Aug 5, 2010

houses on the road. We purchased our house 3 years ago and refinanced a year ago and the private road agreement never came up as an issue. I imagine my neighbors also have mortgages and never asked me to sign an agreement. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Answers

5
Hi Kayakgirl,

I haven't personally ran into that issue, but I have seen a major tightening in the lending industry over the past 3 months. I thought the tightening had ended a year ago, but this most recent wave has been the worst I have seen in years. I would suggest going to a different lender to try the refinance. If you would like a recommendation, give me a call at 975-9330 or e-mail me: steve@TheMidCoastGroup.com.

Blessings!!
Steven M. Dyer, CRS
50 Sewall St., 2nd Floor
Portland, ME 04102
207.975.9330
steve@TheMidCoastGroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 5, 2010
That shouldn't be a deal breaker for us. I just refinanced my Dad who is on a private road and one other. There are ways around it and we underwrite our loans inhouse and know that this is common in Maine.
The requirement for a written road agreement is a farily new requirement, implemented by Fannie Mae a few years ago. Not only must the road agreement be wrtiten, it must be recorded in the County Registrar. The State of Maine also has specific rules covering formal road associations. You will find additional information on this at:

http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/docwatershed/roadassociation.htm

Not all loans are required to meet Fannie Mae guidelines so it may be possible to get a loan without a formal road agreement. You just need to tell the lender upfront that there is no road agreement and inquire if they offer a loan program that will not require it.

That being said, a new mortgage and 2 refinances within a 3 year period is a bit unusual. There are costs associated with a refinance that usually take time to recoup. Frequent refinance, especially if accompanied by "cash out", have led some other homeowners to problems. I urge you to review the refinance with a financial advisor to see if this is really your best financial option.
I have never had people actually be denied, but I have had attorneys draw up a road agreement for the loan to go through. It is true that underwriting will usually not approve the loan without one. If you email me, I'll give you the name of an attorney who may be able to help you.
Jessica@diamondteamhomes.com
becoming more and more common... our daughter recently had trouble purchasing a home in a new development... she was the first or second one to purchase... no road association had been formed yet... they HAD to get one done before the sale could proceed... it was driven by a comment from the appraiser in her case... he could not support the value w/o a proper association in place.