Financing in 60601>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in 60612

I am looking to buy a short sale in Chicago. Some of the homes are not 100% complete so I will need a non-traditional loan.

Asked by Joe, 60612 Fri Dec 4, 2009

Any advice of what bank to go through for these types of loans. I believe I will need a construction or commercial loan for a short sale like this.

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 60601

Help the community by answering this question:


Any new home that isn't complete will likely not be eligible for standard financing. Most lenders will require a home received it's certificate of occupancy (CO) before doing ANY type of loan on it.

Yes, it's true, a 203k loan requires the CO to be in place and have been in place for one year before rehab financing can be used.

Your only other standard option is a HomeStyle loan and most lenders will have the same requirement (the CO) as well.

The only way to close on a home like this for sure is with a true construction-rehab loan which will be a portfolio lending product (local or maybe regional bank or credit union). Lenders right now don't have much of an appetite for construction lending which is why you see so little of it and also why you'll see so few new homes outside of a major development. Keep in mind I'm not saying construction loans aren't out there, "construction-rehab" is the part that'll be the challenge to find and some lenders who offer these products have minimum loan amounts as they want to minimize their exposure since the majority of the construction was done outside of their control.

Good luck! If you need additional information on rehab lending, I have many posts about it, just look through the Q&A or my blog(s).
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
Hello Joe,
Wells Fargo is one of the most trusted lender and we at prudential rubloff have had an opportunity to work with them. They provide and excellent 203k loan program which addresses to your specific needs of remodeling your property. , which is the loan to purchase & rehab your property. I also specialize in short sales. Feel free to call me for properties that are available for sale.

Feel Free to contact

Keith Ulbrich @ Well Fargo
Branch Manager

Office: 630-954-8081
Fax: 855-361-5599
Mobile: 630-664-2029

Best Regards
Rashida Kharkhariwala
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
Hi Joe,

The FHA Streamline 203K or FHA Full 203K loan programs (depending on the amount of repairs needed) will probably be your best bet, but you'll want to make sure the seller has a C/O or Certificate of Occupancy in place on the property. This can be a roadblock on a 203K mortgage.

I'd be happy to help you or answer more questions that you may have. I'm reachable via email ( or phone (773.456.9662) at your convenience.

Best regards,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Hi Joe,

I work with a few lenders that can facilitate the 203k loan, which is the loan to purchase & rehab the home. I also specialize in short sales. Feel free to call me for properties that are available for sale.

Evelyn S. Fred
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
I have referred many clients to Ryan Mecum from Wintrust Mortgage. His number is 312-933-9778. He does a lot of work in the city and knows the programs available as well as anyone out there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009

There are a couple loans which may be of great use for you.
The first is the FHA 203K which is for owner occupied only.
This loan gives you the money to purchase it as well as the money to rehab.
The other is the Fannie Mae Homestyle. This is for either owner occupied or investors.
The biggest difference is that the Homestyle requires a more substancial down payment.
Feel free to call me if you have any further questions or how to get pre-approved.

Steve Smither
Ardain Mortgage corp
Senior Loan Originator
847-942-5151 Cell
847-963-1000 Office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
You can do a Fha 203K that will lend you the money to rehab the property as well as the purchase price. Not very difficult to do.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Try Bradley Eggars Ardain Mort for rehab loans 847-744-0168

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Illinois > Cook County > Chicago > 60601 > Financing in 60601 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer