Financing in 38671>Question Details

Doug, Other/Just Looking in 38671

I am a 51 year old heart transplant hopeful who has lost my job due to my disability. I may lose my house. Any programs available to help?

Asked by Doug, 38671 Fri Sep 10, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 38671

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Doug-

I'm sorry about your situation. The good news is that you have your health, the sad news is that you may be relocated. With all the fuss and media it's tough to find out the best path to pursue due to confusion and uncertainty. I agree with Terry and weigh your options first. If you do speak to a lawyer, make sure that they don't charge you for consultation. If they do, RUN! and find another attorney. There should be some good lawyers that offer free consultation for disbility suits. Take your time but it's probably not a first or second option for your situation. If I were you, I'd talk to a local realtor that specializes in short sales (someone who has closed at least 12 per year and ask for testimonials. I get them often on my short sales and the sellers are grateful for the service.) For a list of questions to ask, please reply. Otherwise, weigh your options on loan mods vs. short sales i.e., HAMP vs. HAFA. If you have no equity in your home and are unemployed, you will not qualify for HAMP, sorry. A job or some sort of income is required. Which leaves you with short sale vs. HAFA. Ask your Realtor the difference between the two. Should you decide to not take action and stay in your home and let it go to foreclosure, keep in mind that the lender cannot evict you for 90 days after the trustee sale no matter the notice. Even if the home was sold to a 3rd party investor, they cannot evict you for 90 days so there will be no need to retain a lawyer. Obama signed a bill for homeowners who've lost their home to foreclosure. Want more info, please reply. Best, Drew Foma'i @ First Team Estates - Newport Beach, CA.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 10, 2010
So sorry to hear, but want to tell you we have a friend out here who went through a transplant and doing well! in any case, you shouldn't be having to deal with added stress in your life. Two things I would recommend is to find out how to apply for disability, and if you get turned down, seek a lawyer that specializes in representing folks with disabilities, and the second thing is to apply to the Obama program to save your house at for the HAFA and HAMP programs (Making Homes Affordable Program). There is a lot of information about how to apply for a home modification loan, and to delay any foreclosure action if you are getting behind in payments. And depending on your other finances, you might want to check with your county for services. The other thing you can do, is to call a realtor in your area, like the ones here in your zip code, not me out in northern California wine country (where we never had a summer this year!), and ask them about property values in your area. What would be your situation if you had to sell your home, if you have any equity, or if you would have to do a short sale. Best of luck to you! Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 10, 2010
Hey Doug,

Have you talked to your current mortgage servicer? If so, what did they tell you?

If you have not attempted this, then contact them and see if they can provide some sort of assistance to you.

As for programs, there are housing assistance programs out there - I just don't know which ones you would qualify for. Try your current servicer and let me know what they say.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 10, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer