Financing in Philadelphia>Question Details

Rdrjr1980, Other/Just Looking in

How long from the purchase of a home does it take to qualify for a fha? Also can two non married people get a fha together?

Asked by Rdrjr1980, Wed Oct 19, 2011

Answers

15
Hi Rdrjr1980,

this should be all good news for you.

You do not need to be a "first time buyer" or first time borrower, for an FHA loan, it must merely be fore a primary residence. If you are intending to buy what will be your home togehter... its all good

Your responsiveness to lender information requirements will mostly dictate the speed with which a loan can be applied for and then funded to settle. Mortgage lending is very "what about this, show me that, explain the other thing" these days. Buyer/borrowers NEED to undertand this is the way of things, its not personal, and questions and or informatino required is NOT optional.

Buyer/borrowers also MUST understand that mortgage companies are quite busy, and "all the other stuff" does not continue to go on automatically while the mortgage company waits for anwers or documents. If we don't get the bank what it needs, we run the real risk of pushing back a settlement date. the banks simply will not fund a loan until they are satisfied with all issues/questions/ etc.

the simple anwer. plan on at least 6 preferably 8 weeks from agreement of sale date, so that you are not required to stand on your head to meet conditions, questions etc. Nor are the realtors involved or even the owner. FHA loans require a form of appraisal which may call out for repairs before funding. More time gives the owner the chance to do whatever may be called for (most often scrape and paint). Again, the bank will not lend without any specified work being done, and verified by the appraiser, in a "check to make sure" 2nd visit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Hello, Rdrjr1980,

Its not necessary to be a1st time buyer to get an FHA loan, however a new loan would need to be for a residence, not an investment property.

There is no requirement that fha borrowers be married.

Time to close depends on many things, some of them in YOUR hands. Just like in ANY mortgage, when documents, or information or an answer to a question is needed.... if the borrower does not reply promptly, the process is held up. If the appaisal reveals valuation or condition issues... no loan until the agreement is modifeid for price or the repair completed.

If a buyer is prompt, an appraiser prompt, or sellers complete any mandated repairs promptly its possible to close quite quickly. 45 days would be safe, 60 better, 30 days really pushing it. If one or more parties are tarday or non-responsive....the loan will be delayed. or never close.

As a buyer / borrower give the bank what they need immediately, and you'll have less or no issues !

Best

John Leonard
Long & Foster Real Estate
610-742-9389
john.leonard@lnf.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 19, 2011

You don't need to be a first time buyer to qualify for an FHA loan. You and your girlfriend do not have to be married to buy a home together and have both names on the mortgage and deed.

For your girlfriend to be on an FHA mortgage with you, she will have to sell her current FHA mortgaged house or she could refi into a conventional mortgage for that property.

No one can have more than 1 FHA loan at a time. I hope that answers your questions. Please feel free to call me directly with any other questions you and your girlfriend may have. I'm always available to help.

Larry Lichtman
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell (267) 254-7994
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 19, 2011
In Philadelphia, if you qualify for an FHA loan, a good lender can get an FHA mortgage commitment in 3-4 weeks and you can close in 30-45 days. A pre-approval can be done in a day if you have the right documentation available. And yes, two non married individuals can be on the same mortgage and purchase a property together. I would be happy to assist you with a home purchase and connect you with two lenders that I think are the best in the business. Feel free to contact me at anytime. Cell: 215 500 2981 or mg@michaelgarden.com.

Michael Garden
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 19, 2011
John is correct!! It looks like the only thing he didn't cover is if 2 non married people can finance through FHA and the answer is yes!!
Good Luck
can be 30 days, key is how prganized you can be to provide all the needed tax returns, bank statements etc.
What I ment in the first question was that the girl I am moving in with already had an fha 4 years ago. How long before she is a fist time buyer again?
Hi

It is difficult to answer your first question because I am having trouble understanding just what you are asking. Please feel free to email me privately if you still need more specific information, my email address is below.

Two unmarried individuals who meet all the criteria for qualification individually can secure an FHA mortgage for one property. I always advise my clients to meet with two or threee mortgage lenders and get specific information from the lender of thier choice regarding the specific mortgage program. Loan products can vary, and you need to understand the product that you are securing. One size does not fit all in this situation.

Ana Barlow, Coldwell Banker Preferred, Philadelphia

anabarlow@gmail.com
Helo Rdr,

Two unmarried and totally unrelated people can buy a home together and get and FHA mortgage together.
As for the first question, I am not sure exactly what you are asking. I think you are asking how long from the signing of an agreement can we get a loan to settlement. I can do it in 30 days but I suggest giving yourself 45 days because even though your situation may be clean, there may be property or appraisal issues that may need to be dealt with prior to settlement.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending
Southampton Pa
267 992 7276
VOTED BEST OF BUCKS 2010
If you have already purchased a home, as long as you are not "flipping It" there is no waiting period. If you are reselling it after you fixed it up you have to wait 90 days from closing on the last house to writing an agreement of sale on the new house. Two unmarried people get get an FHA loan together.
We have a very good loan officer here at Prudential you could speak to, just email or call me if you would like the contact.
Thank you, Peggy House
215-680-5577 peggyhousesellshomes@msn.com
Hi, Rdrjr1980.

Here are the answers you were looking for:

1. It usually takes anywhere from 30 - 60 days to sign a contract for the home you want and have your FHA mortgage completed (depending on the lender). FHA is a good way to go if you don't want to put a lot of money down and you're looking for the seller to pay for your closing costs.

2. Yes, you do not have to be married to get an FHA loan. Your best bet would be to speak to a reputable bank/lender and get started on a free pre-qualification. All it takes is a phone call.

If you need anything else from me, just let me know.

Tim

Timothy Garrity | Realtor & Consultant
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson - #RS314897
215-829-8850 Office
267-879-2716 Mobile
tim@usspaces.com
Hi Rdrjr1980!
Congrats on deciding to become a homeowner!
I'm wondering on that question as well. Firstly, I always recommend getting pre-approved from a qualified lender. This will answer your financing questions which includes not only FHA but what you're able to spend on a monthly basis related to the mortgage. My buyers continue to have great success with Trident Mortgage (see link below). It doesn't cost you anything to get pre-approved.
I'd be more than happy to go over anything with you as well as help you find your new home.
Make it an excellent day!
Robert

If you are asking about how long after your are under contract does it take to get approved for the FHA loan that depends on your lender. Big Banks can take 45-60 days. If you go with a private mortgage bank it should only take 48-72 hours to get an approval from underwriting. Now you are suppose to get pre-approved for a mortgage before you go shopping for a home. A pre-approval starts with a credit check to make sure you credit qualify and then they veify your incme by reviewing pay stubs, W-2 forms, and tax returns for past two years. They also should verify your assets.
Two non-marreid people can go on an FHA loan but both people must meet minimum credit requirements. You can even have a non-occupany co-borrower, this is someone who goes on the loan but will not be living in the house.
If you need to get pre-approved please feel free to call me at 610-906-3109 or you can apply online at http://www.PRMIDelaware.com/loanapplication

John R. Thomas
Certified Mortgage Planner
Primary Residential Mortgage
NMLS - 38783
610-906-3109 PA
302-703-0727 DE
Hello, Rdrjr,

I think you mean how long does it take to process the loan. Once you make your mortgage application, if you have all of your documents together and do not create any delays, you should be able to settle in 30-45 days. Yes, two unmarried people can apply for the loan together. Many people use FHA loans and they are not married. Also, try to go to a direct lender, like a Bank, to do the loan. Often, a MORTGAGE BROKER may take longer.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Carol Cei, ePRO, Realtor
Five Star Professional
ReMax Action Realty
215-643-9661 Direct
215-358-1100 x1223 Office
carol@carolcei.com
Web Reference: http://www.carolcei.com
I would think you have to qualify for FHA before you can purchase the house. Maybe you mean how long after you make the application and that is about 45-60 days under normal situations. Delaying getting materials the lender asks for makes it take longer. Yes, 2 non married people can get an FHA. Speak to a lender to get better answers with your situation.