Financing in McKinney>Question Details

Chris Schuetz, Real Estate Pro in Lexington, KY

How does water damage and mold affect the appraisal value of a home?

Asked by Chris Schuetz, Lexington, KY Tue Jun 24, 2008

I am interested in a home that has flood/mold damage. I have received estimates on repair costs, and believe that purchasing the house is still possible. Ideally, I would like to use cash to purchase the house and then take out a home equity line of credit (heloc) to fund the repair costs of arounf $150,000. The homes list price is 250,000, and other comparable homes in the area are selling for between 560,000 and 750,000. My problem is that I only have the cash to cover the intitial cost of the house and not the renovations. I am wondering how the flood/mold damage will affect the appraised value fo the home, and in turn my ability to extract the equity.

Answers

4
If you are using a realtor, what are they advising? Do you have the history on the property. What caused the flood damage in the first place? Is the problem likely to reoccur? Is the property in a flood zone? If it is you may want to look long and hard on buying into a problem.
Web Reference: http://www.CarolPease.com
Can you get insurance on the home and if so at what cost?
The value might depend on the cause of the flood and if that has been fixed or not.
If it is subject to flooding again, then the value might not be worth much.
I think it also depends on the state of the mold and for example how long the home was flooded.
Was it a day or under water for a month? If it was a month then the whole house might need to be torn down to the foundation. Probably first quest is to the insurance company and see where you go from there.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Chris
You are quite right to be concerned. Is the water damage from a flood, if so there should be other homes in the area with similar damage to compare the difference in appraised value now or is your the first to sell. The mold it depends on the amount and kind, in Texas if it is larger than a 3X3 it must be on future disclosures.
The additional insurance that a purchaser has to purchase always affect the purchase price of a home, we just need to know more about this particular damage and house.
Chris,
You are correct to assume that the disrepair of the property will affect the appraisal. The ony way to know how much it will affect the value is having an appraisal done. However, if you have paid cash for a property, and their is no current lien on the home, then it stands to reason that there is a value to the propery that can be tapped in order to generate the funds needed for the repairs (however it certainly won't be the $560k-$750k value that it will be after repairs).

Your Realtor should be able to recommend some lenders that can assist you with the process, however if you require assistance or other recommendations, please feel free to ask. I am happy to assist you in any way.

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
melissa.hailey@coldwellbanker.com
214-418-0180