Financing in Sheepshead Bay>Question Details

Trulia Brook…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

How do you stop an eviction if you need help financially?

Asked by Trulia Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY Mon Feb 4, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


I shouldn't be answering this, but here goes:

NYC is one of the most pro renter cities in the country. At times, it seems like the renter has more rights than the owner. If a tenant goes to tenant/landlord court and says they cannot afford to move at this time, the court will take whatever rent they have to pay each month for 6-8 months or more, put it in an escrow account and give it back to the tenant to help them move while all this time they can live for free where they currently are.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
You can extend the time to eviction, but ultimately you need to pay or leave. Consider trying for section 8 assistance from the city.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer