Financing in 63841>Question Details

Kim, Home Seller in Dexter, MO

How do I get the word out about a modular home that must be moved?

Asked by Kim, Dexter, MO Mon Oct 29, 2007

It's in excellent condition and I am asking far less than the appraisal on it, but when I mention it must be moved I get no response. How would a potential buyer get a mortgage on it before it is on their land? I inherited it from my parents and would like to build on the land it is on.

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 63841

Answers

5
Kim,

Your modular is not a real estate listing when not attached to land, but it is personal property that might interest real estate companies as an in house listing. Call a local real estate company and ask them if they take "in house" listings. We have sold several "unattached" mobiles that way in my office. By the way, there is a huge difference between a modular and a manufactured home, so be prepared to answer the question about whether it is really a doublewide trailer.

Email Sherry and tell her Liz from Cape sent you: sherry@sherryburnettrealty.com
Is this Home Free if moved and what kind of condition is it in??
Many folks who are building a home on a large country lot have a need for a Modular home such as yours. I knew of a mobile home which ended up making the rounds to 10 families who were all buildign their "dream" homes either by themselves or in partnership with a builder and they lived in the mobile for months while it was built. They then sold it to another family! The builder got the word out through his connections.
1. So I'd get the word out to Home Builders--not production guys but those who do custom homes.
2. Craigs List--put it under the "Land" section and run the ad as the temorary home for your dream home!
3. Check with the county for those who have pulled building permits in the county on larger lots and send them a flyer on the modular.
4. Farmer's and those in Agricultural areas are always looking for cheap housing for workers.
Hope this helps!
Information is power. Since it would need to be moved, you need to be able to refer the prospective buyers to house moving companies. While you are interviewing the house moving companies, get some unofficial "ballpark" estimates for the lift, the move (per mile) and the setup. . There are likely to be substantial set up costs. - Permits, Foundation, garage, hookups, testing systems, certificate of occupancy agreements, etc. etc. -

There are a few people who may want to take this kind of project on. They are usually investors who are in business to make a considerable profit. The modular will have to be nearly free for the house moving investor to shoulder all of the other costs and risks to the project.

Since you have a high appraisal for the property, would you gain more financially by donating the building to a non-profit (example only - not a specific endorsement ) such as Habitat for Humanity. And then possibly taking a charitable deduction for the value on your taxes?

Organizations of that type occasionally have land donated and labor donated, so a project that might not make sense in the private sector might make sense in the non-profit sector.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
If you have a Craigslist city in your area, I'd highly recommend posting there. It's free and highly trafficked.