Financing in Columbia>Question Details

Gia, Home Buyer in Columbia, MD

Hi,I am a teacher in Montgomery County, MD. Though I earn a fairly decent salary, it seems that I am priced

Asked by Gia, Columbia, MD Fri Feb 22, 2008

out of homes in the Howard and Montgomery County areas. The mortgage will be based on my salary alone. Are there any teacher/first time home buyer programs that I would qualify for? I looked at the HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program, an there are no revitalization zones in Howard or Montgomery County.

I grew up in Columbia, and would love to buy my home here. I've also got excellent credit, and no debt. Thanks to any and all who are able to provide guidance!

Good luck on your house hunting. With good credit and no debt, you should be fine. Check into Bank of America programs and City Lending funds that are available. Bank of America has a teachers program that is hard to beat and most cities have a community loan program for individuals to buy in certain areas of town to help improve the overall community. I don't know the specifics of your community, but take a look online and you should find several options that will fit your needs. As always, check with a trusted Realtor in you local area to help find the best bang for the buck! You may have to take a chance on an up and coming area to get the house you want. Again, if you find a Realtor in your area that knows the market you should be fine.

Give Matthew Rosov a call. He's at (301) 536-2875; he's with Envision Lending Group and should be able to help. His e-mail is (I have no personal connection to him; he's just a well-informed mortgage broker in Maryland.)

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
You need to speak with some lenders. Some of them, like Wells Fargo, offers special loans for public servants.