Financing in 90650>Question Details

Nessa25, Other/Just Looking in 90650

Do loan modifications affect getting approved for a new mortgage loan? Our credit is still good and have never been late, we just need a bigger house

Asked by Nessa25, 90650 Thu Apr 14, 2011

through trying to refinance our house we found out that we have a "loan modification" on our current mortgage loan. We are never late on our payment and our account is in good standing. We have never claimed bankruptcy or been close to doing so and were even unaware, when we questioned our rate spike, that we got a loan modification on our account. We have never signed anything asking for this and don't recall requesting this loan modification. We are wondering if it would benefit us to just sell this house and buy a different home with more space. Our credit is at about 675

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 90650

Answers

6
Hi Nessa25.
It will be much easier for you to get a new mortgage/new home by selling your home. If you try to get a new loan or purchase a new home, your current mortgage will be accounted for, specially if your current home has less than 25% equity.
Polo Carrillo (626) 234-6520 polocarrillo@yahoo.com
Nessa 25, Probably the loan modification is not really you, you must sign papers when you accept a loan mod. banks do make mistakes. My suggestion is to call the bank and ask them to explain it. This matter is really serious, you must fix this matter before you sell or buy. Good Luck! Rosie 562-455-6569
Nessa25,

This is actually not a hard problem to solve. And before you even begin the process of trying to get pre-approved (or fully approved with a lender), there are some basic questions you'd need to answer and strategies you'd need to have in place. I tell all my clients that a pre-approval is ALWAYS an analysis of four things:

1) Income
2) Assets
3) Credit
4) Collateral (the home's value and ability to appraise)

Before you get overly concerned about your credit preventing you from a future purchase, I would want to make sure all else is well too. If it is, then we can dissect the credit and develop a strategy from there.

If you think I can help, don't hesitate to get in touch. I'm in CA also.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Michael is right, every applicants' situation for a loan is different. It is SO important that you do not miss a payment. However some lenders may view your getting a loan modification as "you can't afford that payment, how are you going to afford a payment on another house?".

Even if you're trying to get the loan modification because you can afford the payment but just want a lower rate it can be construed by a new lender that you have an affordability issue.

If you want a bigger house, I can help you find a bigger house. Your FICO score is high enough to qualify for an FHA loan. You would have to have a secured lease agrmt for 1yr with a tenant in order for the lender to NOT count that payment towards your debt ratio.

Email me directly if you'd like to talk about this some more. I can also refer you to one of my lenders who you can put an application in with.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Realtor Since 1996
Hello Nessa.

There are many questions I need to ask you before I can give you professional advise. It sounds like your an intelligent home owner that is aware of the opportunity in this down market to move up to a better home in a better neighborhood. Our team has lawyers on retainer at no cost to our clients that specialize in your type of situation. Along with the network of preferred lenders that we do business with on a regular basis, you will get honest and professional answers with results that will get you in to that bigger home that your family desires. Give us a call for a free consultation with no obligation. Thank you. 562-552-4311
Web Reference: http://larocheteam.com
Nessa, situations like yours are a relatively new phenomenon and your best answer is going to come from making a full loan application to a lender and having your situation validated by an Underwriter. I recommend that because on a forum like this you'll get everything from "no way" to "no problem."

The reality is that it will be an Underwriter who has to make a determination.

The problem is that in the past a loan modification was viewed as just about the same as a foreclosure or other serious derogatory credit issue. People didn't get loan modifications unless they were in trouble financially and lenders would typically require you to wait 24 months to re-establish good credit.

Your scenario obviously doesn't fall into that description and your file will need to be handled as an "exception." Pick a lender you are comfortable with, pay the $20 for a credit report, and go through the pre-approval process. Give it a shot and you may have success.

If you'd like help feel free to contact us via our profile.