Question Details

Home Buyer, Home Buyer in Florida

Did I loose money? seller agreed to pay 3% of the sales prices twrds closing cost to include pre-paids,

Asked by Home Buyer, Florida Fri Aug 22, 2008

non-allowables and
/or home warranty. But our closing cost came about $1500 less than the 3% contribution and now they are saying we cant put the balance towards our down payment. Its not FHA and we are putting 20% down payment so opting not to escrow so no prepaids either. Is this a lost cause?

Answers

3
I agree with what Luke says and if you want to see a bit of a longer answer you can click in this link http://davemuti.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/how-to-save-thousan… to my blog on this subject I wrote back in April. If you do get your lender to lower your rate you will save thousands over the life of your loan. Hopefully this helps.
Rgds,
Dave Muti
It's not necessarily a lost cause f you structure it right. Yes, your seller agreed to pay "up to" 3% in closing costs and if the costs didn't add up to the full 3% then the seller can't help that. What I would do is talk to your mortgage lender and use the $1,500 toward buying down your interest rate. For instance, if you got 6.5% on a rate, then see if you can pay a discount fee of and lower your rate to 6.25%. Use as much of the credit as you can. That is your best route at this moment.

I'm not a Realtor, just a buyer - but I have recent experience with submitting offers for 3 different houses (none of them worked out). We also asked for the same closing costs/prepaid items, but I do know that our offers stated "Up to 3%...". Do you have a paper copy of your offer? If so, you may want to check the wording to put your mind at ease. Good luck!