Financing in Maine>Question Details

Looking in P…, Home Buyer in Switzerland, FL

Can we get a mortgage for a property in Portland if I am unemployed in the US but my husband is still working in Europe?

Asked by Looking in Portland, Switzerland, FL Sat Aug 21, 2010

I'll be quitting my job in Europe and relocating with our children ahead of him. Based on just his income we'd qualify for a mortgage, but I don't know if foreign-earned income is considered. Also, he's not a citizen and doesn't yet have a visa of any kind.

0 votes Share Flag Financing in Maine

Help the community by answering this question:


Have you considered obtaining financing in your home country? Check to see if your bank will finance a foreign purchase. Also, contact a real estate attorney who is experienced with global transactions.

I am a member of FIABCI/International Real Estate Federation and I have a colleague in Maine who is experienced with international transactions. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me via
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 25, 2010
Short answer: Yes. Depending on certain factors, Conventional, FHA, and VA financing should be available to you. Talk to a local licensed loan officer concerning your specific situation and possible options.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 21, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Maine > Financing in Maine > Question
Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer