Financing in Potrero Hill>Question Details

1ironman1, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Can an Escape Assessment be made when the error occurred by the Assessor 12 yrs. ago?

Asked by 1ironman1, San Francisco, CA Sun Nov 18, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes! I recently worked on a sale that involved a property that had faulty tax information in the system from the 1980's. We tried to work with the assessor's office, which will usually institute a fix if they find an error (option 1). But we got bogged down in bureaucracy that would have taken a year to wade through - and would have killed our sale. We scheduled a quick hearing with a judge ("quick" means within 2 weeks). He studied the error, determined it was indeed an error, and issued an order to the assessor's office requiring them to fix it immediately (option 2).
The court hearing is obviously more expensive than just asking the assessor's office to make a fix, but it's an option.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
Interesting answer!
Flag Mon Nov 19, 2012
Did the judge's ruling cancel the assessment made to the property owner?
Flag Sun Nov 18, 2012
I wonder how common this problem is?
John's answer certainly shows the benefit of working with the right agent.
What was the court cost relative to the assessment in question?

P.S. Assessors are counting on owners not questioning their appraisals each year, we review
them annually, and challenge whenever we know they're wrong. The result? For the cost
of a few emails and a couple stamps, we've saved many thousands over twelve years.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer