Financing in New York>Question Details

Polly, Home Buyer in Cary, NC

Can a foreigner apply for mortgage and buy a house in New York?

Asked by Polly, Cary, NC Wed Jul 3, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Polly,

The short answer is yes, but you should begin working closely with a mortgage banker early in the process. One piece of information you did not provide is whether you are a permanent resident of the United States or you are residing abroad. A permanent resident will have a much easier time qualifying for a mortgage. foreigners living abroad can get financing, but it is a more difficult process.

Michael Richman
Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker
KIAN Realty
450 7th Avenue Suite 1501
New York, NY 10123
212-757-8268 x220
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 8, 2013
As a follow-up to my previous comment here, I just want to add that as a foreign citizen and long-term UN employee I myself had experience in successfully applying for mortgages. ANY bank can and will work with a foreign client - as long as you are in the US legally in a visa, etc.

There's no need to limit yourself. If you wish to learn more, I'd be happy to advise you regarding the ways that the eight thousand of the United Nations staff in NYC goes about this task: 917-519-4664 cell.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 6, 2013
Yes,you can do it from Citi Bank or HSBC.

I'm working for some oversea investors from Hongkong, China & Taiwan.
Please see the requirements from HSBC:
1. 2 years reporting form of income tax.
2. Existing Premium HSBC account of $100K more.
3. 25% Down Payment for residential property; 40% Down Payment for investment.
4. Bank funding statement of last two months; If any new transferring, resource proof is required.
5. International Credit Report by HSBC (2 weeks of process).
6. Application form.
7. Type of VISA to USA.
8. Recommendation letter from banks with existing accounts.

About the international mortgage of Citi Bank, the requirement would be similar.
If you need more information, I could recommend each mortgage officer in both banks.


顧銘 (Ming Gu)

1010 Ave of the Americas, 2nd Floor, NY 10018
Cell: (917)517-7499
Phone: (212)379-5059
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
Yes, a foreigner can apply for a mortgage and buy a home in New York if he/she qualifies financially and has a proof of legal status in the US (Visa, passport, etc). I know it not only as a professional but also from my personal exerience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions: 917-519-4664 cell. My name is Tatyana Shestakova and I am with Citi Habitats; email address:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
But if he is a foreigner without a legal status in the US, that means he could not apply for a mortgage, correct?
Flag Wed Jul 3, 2013
Please contact me for assistance. My name is John and I can be reached at 212-714-1027 ext 16. Thank you and good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer