Financing in Kenosha>Question Details

Jen, Home Buyer in California

Can My husband get a home loan in WI and leave me off of it?

Asked by Jen, California Sat Apr 28, 2012

I have really bad credit. We want to buy a house in WI. My husband has great credit, we having trouble getting a home loan in just his name, we are being told that they must run my credit as well as his credit. We have been married for less then a year. Is there any type of home loan he can get where my credit will not count against him? We are being transferred to the Kenosha area for his job.

Help the community by answering this question:


Maureen Boyle’s answer
Or, you can move just over the line into Illinois (Antioch, Gurnee, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, Beach Park, Wadsworth, Winthrop Harbor, Zion, etc) where your husband could get the loan in just his name. If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
Hello Jen:

Thank you for inquiring about real estate in Wisconsin. In answer to your initial question, "Can My Husband get a home loan in WI and leave me off of it?" The answer is, YES!

Although Wisconsin is a "Marital Property State" a spouse can purchase a property without the other partner.

However, depending upon the type of loan you are getting there are some points you need to be aware of.

1) A Conventional Loan would not require your documentation.

2) If the loan you are looking to get is an FHA (Federal Housing Authority) or USDA (United States Dept of Agriculture) -- then you would have to be included for the running of credit as well as to see any debts you might have on your report (not necessarily on your husbands') -- e.g. a car loan, credit card debts, etc. This information would have to be factored in for ratios of debt to income.

If you would be interested in speaking with a Local Kenosha Lender please let me know and I'll be happy to make a recommendation so you can start making plans for your Relocation.

Once you are pre-approved I'll be happy to compile a list of available properties listed by any real estate company ... matching your search criteria (price range, minimum # of bedrooms, bathrooms, basement, garage, square footage, etc, and where you would like to live -- by municipality, zipcode or school district) ... just let me know your "wish list".

You can reach me by phone or e-mail: (262) 657-1171 home/office or

Sincerely, Diana Dahlberg, Broker/Owner/REALTOR/ABR/ePro -- 1 MONTH REALTY
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 28, 2012
No, you will have to be on the loan as well as your husband as WI is a married property state. If you were to buy a home in Illinois you could do what you are talking about. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 13, 2013
The best place to start is with a lender. Things change quickly in the banking world and a lender would have the best up to date advice for you. They also can help with credit repair for you. Good credit is imperative today and it's something you can start on right away. Let me know if you need any help with this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 30, 2012
This is a question that must be referred to a lender.I have reputable lenders on hand that can handle you situation.Feel free to contact me for a list of those lenders.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 28, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer