I have been living downtown for 8 years now in East Village a few blocks from Petco. Some of my new favorite restaurants (2014) which are walking distance from Petco are:
1. Rare Form. Neighborhoods (the beer bar on 8th and g) sister restaurant. Connected to the ballpark.
2. ACME. This is owned by the owners of cafe chloe. It's a soul food restaurant and the food is amazing.
3. Lucky Liu's. Great chinese food.
4. Werewolf. Owned by the waterfront bar in Little Italy. Great food and drinks.
Not new but still my go to restaurants for padres games:
1. Oceanaire for their happy hour. 1 dollar oysters and cheap appetizers.
2. Flemmings. $6 dollar amazing burger and 6 dollar apps/cocktails.
3. Barley Mash. Good food always crowded but good vibe.
Feel free to email me if you ever want any great restaurant recommendations I'm a foodie!
520 Front St
San Diego, CA 92101