Cara Realtors, Real Estate Pro in 08742

Do you think the popular MTV reality show, "Jersey Shore" will help or hinder Real Estate transactions on the Jersey Shore due to the show?

Asked by Cara Realtors, 08742 Tue Jan 26, 2010

We are a fully licensed, MLS Real Estate Brokerage and Agency that specializes in the Jersey Shore market. Popular tourist destinations like the highly profiled town on the MTV reality show "Jersey Shore" have a local buzz that is less than the glamorous appeal the show tends to portray of the resort town.

With mixed views and feelings about the show's popularity and the positive/negative images and messages the show casts on the Jersey Shore town on all sides, we are not sure whether the recent news that another season will take place is good for local area exposure, or negative and detrimental to the quiet, clean, and safe family atmosphere the many Jersey Shore towns actually are and offer locals & tourists alike.

We want your opinion. The results of the poll will be posted next week.

Answers

6
Onceadeskclerk’s answer
The show attracts precisely the kind of vacationer Seaside Heights has worked so hard to minimize. Seaside Heights was once a great vacation destination for the average american family and groups of middle income vacationers. While it has always had to manage an 'element' of out of control groups who frequent the shore to abuse people, alcohol and anything else that crosses their path, this show is a magnate for precisely the kind vacationer Seaside Heights does not want to emphasize or attract.

The show may bring in thousands of cast, crew and spectators for rentals, dining and entertainment, in the long run it will do more harm than good. The time is ripe for Seaside Heights to attract vacationers with modest budgets and a desire for good, clean fun in the sun. With tight budgets, most people have had to cut back on scale and length of their vacation time (if they are lucky enough to be able to even take one). That leave the Jersey Shore a perfect place to plan a vacation to, as it is close, affordable and offers so much to so many.

What the heck are the powers that be thinking? Who's looking after the big picture for the residents and business people of Seaside Heights?
I grew up at the Jersey Shore & lets face it , it is what it is a humorous reality show portraying teens & wanna be teens trying to play grown up away from home for a Summer romp.. There was a lot of hype about the show when it first came on & at 1st I was a bit offended by the Italian criticisms of it. so I watched it & continued to watch it & found it was a really funny show. I don't think it will have any significant impact on tourism or home values there in the long term. Seaside Hts has always had its fill of " Bennies " that come & then go home. There will always be a balanced mix of tourists including rowdy teens & families there just to have a vacation. I'm sure the show will entice more teens to come down here this season, but I don't think familles will stay home either.
Dan - in "real" life - the "Jersey" shore refers to the many miles of shoreline along the NJ coast............lots of beautiful beaches and activities...............lots of different flavors in the various beach communities....from the honky tonk fun of boardwalks with games, rides and fun boardwalk food like cotton candy and waffles with ice cream (are you hungry yet??).......... to the quiet elegance of the more "refined" beach towns....from the excitement of Atlantic City to quaint Cape May................ small beach cottages to large, elegant seaside mansions..........the "Jersey" shore is varied, and has something for everyone..................I'm an old (and I DO mean old - ha) shore gal...............come visit us one day Dan - you'll like it here!! :)

PS I have never seen the show, either!
2 questions for you

1 when is the show on and why would anyone watch it?
2 where is jersey shore in real life?

If no one sees a problem with the real housewives of (whatever city it is) and sees an effect on that areas sales I would doubt this would affect your area badly. It potentially might bring a few buyers in. Mostly, people see fantasy as fantasy and do not move to a shows location.
I believe the next season of "the Jersey Shore" will not even be in NJ - it will be taking place in South Beach...........so that might take any possible "edge" off of the NJ hype.

I don't think this silly show, or reality tv, or whatever you want to call it will do any more harm for NJ than The Sopranos did....or that the Housewives of Orange County does for CA.........or The Housewives of Atlanta does for GA.

Silly shows..........silly stereotypes..........who cares!

Oh, just saw that this question is old - from January...I am too lazy to delete my response......
I think the show will not do any harm to real estate transactions in Seaside Heights. People will forget the show but remember Seaside Heights . So if anything it will help Seaside Heights stay in the current in the public mind. People will forget why they know Seaside Heights just that they know the name.
Web Reference: http://robertsuarez.net