Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA

Chicago - Why did Frank Sinatra call it "that toddling town?"

Asked by Jim Walker, Carmichael, CA Thu Jan 17, 2008

Answers

7
The "Toddlers," originally from a small village somewhere in Germany, settled in Chicago when they were forced to leave their homeland for having too much facial hair. They moved to the United States where many gathered in Chicago which was propitiously located along the chilly shores of Lake Michigan. As it happened the Windy CIty's winters provided them with an opportunity to proudly display their moustaches, beards, van dykes and mutton chops. Indeed, their glut of facial hair was welcomed, desired, and sometimes envied given the plummeting mercury. Today any visit to Chicago is not complete until you visit The Toddler Museum at the corner of Goatee and Toupe to see the crafts inspired by and made with Toddler facial hair. Perhaps you have seen the Toddler Toque, a hat made entirely of 5th Generation toddler hairs. It is said to be twice as effective as wool while a fraction of the weight. More information about the Toddlers and their role in Chicago history is available somewhere in wikipedia.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Chicago, Chicago that toddling town
Chicago, Chicago I will show you around - I love it
Bet your bottom dollar you lose the blues in Chicago, Chicago
The town that Billy Sunday couldn't shut down

On State Street, that great street, I just want to say
They do things they don't do on Broadway
They have the time, the time of their life
I saw a man, he danced with his wife
In Chicago, Chicago my home town

Published in 1922. Recorded by Sinatra in 1957, and used in his film, The Joker Is Wild. The song first appeared on the album, Come Fly With Me. Previously a vaudeville song sung by Blossom Seeley.

Original lyrics indicate that *Billy Sunday *, the evangelist, could not close Chicago down-after all, it WAS Capone's town!!. later Billy Sunday was replaced with Marty Faye who was a Chicago radio DJ and TV talk show host from the 40/50/60s. He was known for his abrasive style and voice. If you ever heard him, you wouldn't be likely to forget him, though you might try to, very hard.

Toddlin' was considered the word for "casually walkin' home from having a leasurely drink"... so I presume it had something to do with that... but that's all I got!
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Elvis interpreting Sinatra - I love it!
Web Reference: http://ptmortgage.com/blog
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Other dances in the 1920s: Waltz and tango continued, with slow waltz becoming a new trend, and exhibition tango adopting a more "gaucho" style under the influence of Rudolph Valentino. The Foxtrot became smoother than the trotted ragtime version, or could be bounced even more vigorously, becoming the Toddle.
...and check out the references to dancing in the lyrics...
Flag Tue Oct 28, 2014
This question was reposted on Yahoo. Answers:

Also read on the web today that some think that the name Chicago derived from a native American word for strong smelling onion. Is that why IOC chose Rio?

link for more "toddlin" answers on Yahoo below:
Wow these are some colorful and very interesting answers. lol I thought it meant we were 'Toddling" like a child learning to walk. Meaning we were growing and moving around, trying to catch up to New York which was full grown! lol
Hoo ha ! Tom, you had me toddling along beside you, lapping up every word... until we got to the corner of goatee and Toupee' ---- Gotta give you best answer for that giggle.

Elvis - You are still the king, - Did you ever record that song? I know you covered several of Sinatra's other songs.