Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA

Chicago - Art Galleries and restaraunts recomendations?

Asked by Jim Walker, Carmichael, CA Wed Jan 16, 2008

If one has a business trip to Chicago, and has only one day off to be a tourist, what art galleries should he see and what non - chain restaurant should he dine at?

Answers

13
Thomas Hall’s answer
Don't forget the Chicago Architectural Boat Tour - not only informative but a great view of the city from an entirely different perspective. I dig Mia Francesca on Clark - great energy, good food. Twin Anchors is great if you want to eat like a local - great ribs - great way to eat like you live in Chicago.
Hi Jim!

If you like off the beaten path and you like steak, go to Tango Sur on Southport Corridor. It's our fave restaurant (yes, we are Argentinean, but that's neither here nor there in this case); the prices are much more reasonable than the Viagra Triangle restaurants (which, in my opinion, are over-rated), and the food (order apps!) is to die for. There is more to offer than steak, too - it's a pretty well-rounded menu. It's BYOB, so take a bottle of red and enjoy! But be sure to go early, because it gets CROWDED, and they don't take reservations.

I concur with Elvis's recommendation of Pasteur, although, Elvis, I'm pretty sure it closed (sadly) in April 07...??

As for museums, I lurve me some Museum of Science and Industry (or, as my daughter's little friend calls it without knowing how perfectly she accidentally names it: Museum of Science and Interesting.) Of course, you can't wrong with the Art Institute, but plan to spend the whole day there. In fact, most Chicago's great museums beg for a whole day, so choose wisely.

Go to http://www.metromix.com Tons of recommendations and real user reviews to help you sort through the amazing plethora of stuff to do, see and eat.

P.S. Coming soon? Bring a coat! And gloves! And a hat! And a scarf!
Patti Pereyra, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL
Thomas,

The Boat Tour is great (have taken every single guest on it), but I was picturing Jim coming to Chicago now.... if that's the case, don't do it Jim! You'll freeze your cartoon face off!

Jim, 'that toddlin' town...". Well, I hear the word toddlin' and I think of toddlers and their 'drunken sailor' walk. Is it because Chicagoans like to get their drink on? OR, is it because Chicago was always considered a "baby" (hence, toddler) compared to New York?

Wait. Let me do a quick reference search....

Okay, back. The song was written in 1922 (Al Capone days. Was he a drunk, hence, 'toddlin'? ), and other than that, I found lots of places where people wondered what "that toddlin' town' means. I also found references about alchohol and lots of stuff on Second City and Windy City.... but not much on toddlin' town that offers any concrete explanation.

So Jim, tell us! What does it mean? (P.S. thanks for the BA. I have an Irish friend who always uses "lurve". Lurve it!)
Patti:
Thanks for Googling for me. I had emailed Jim the following after I asked when he was coming and he mentioned Toddlin'. I think he'll wait until the MUST NOT MISS boat tour is available again.

* * I don't know why it's called the toddling town, but I just learned something new the other day. The movie The Breakup was filmed in Chicago and I was an extra (I can't be seen). Vince Vaughn is a tour guide and asked if anyone knew why Chicago was called the "Second City"? WRONG - if you answer because it is second to NYC. It's because after the Great Chicago Fire, the city was rebuilt bigger and better.

I do know that the "Windy City" does not refer to meteorology but rather politics. Our politicians have a lot of hot air causing as much wind as our cold winters whipping around high rises.

I must resist Googling these. * *

OK Patrick, you opened the window for my Greek Town story. I've been going to Rodities since I was a kid. Before I moved here, I had a blind date with my husband and I suggested Rodities. Now, just about every time after going to a concert or drinking downtown, we go to Rodities afterwards.

One Saturday night at about midnight, there was a table with a HUGE family eating. We heard them order a round of Cokes for the kids ages 5, 7, 9 and 12 (or thereabouts). My husband (then boyfriend) was appalled and mentioned the caffeine and the late hour. I laughed. A huge plate of "burnt butter and noodles" (not available at Rodities to my knowledge) at 2 a.m. was common for me at age 6. The carbs and fat will put you to sleep more than the caffeine will keep you up.

I can't believe I am actually writing this at 2 p.m. instead of 2 a.m. It must have something to do with marrying a German instead of a Greek.
Ruth
Web Reference: http://www.Oak-Park-IL.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
On second thought,
Only go to Greek town if you have been out drinking all night.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
OK,

You really can`t go wrong with the Art Institute. Don`t buy the Multi Pass B.S.

Your gonna need lunch.

Heaven on Seven http://www.heavenonseven.com/ check the hours, Wabash or Rush. The very best Louisiana cooking EVER! Get a chicken fried steak and large gumbo to go. You can eat it two days later, cold on the plane, and it will still be the best meal you ever had.

You allready get some great sea food on the west coast, however Bob Chinn`s Crabhouse is a good choice.

As Ruth says, Greek town wont let you down. It is amazing what they can do with Lamb and Artichokes.

Chain, Chain, Chain, the only real Non Chain, and I know you will love this place is about 45 minutes out in Arlington heights called Le TiTi De Paris 847 506 0222 French food at its finest. It will only be expensive if you order more than one bottle of Champaign.

If all else fails, tell the cab driver to take you to Ruths Chris.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
[ I concur with Elvis's recommendation of Pasteur, although, Elvis, I'm pretty sure it closed (sadly) in April 07...?? ]

oohh... clearly I haven't been there for a while, I'm sorry to hear that they went out of business... it was a unique bright spot with creative dishes... and I concur with Tango Sur... wonderful Fillet that puts Gene and Georgetti's to shame. My daughter, who lived in Buenos Aires for a while, introduced us to it, and I have to admit, a whole new style and flavor of beef, without the unbelievable expense of Fogo De Chao!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I concur with Tom... the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Museum of Contemporary Art... two great art museums. If you're looking for other worthwhile museums, the Field Museum, and/or the Adler Planetarium are wonderful, as well as the Shedd Aquarium and it's live northwest dolphin show, and the Museum of Science and Industry... all world class venues.

As far as non-chain restaurants... of course, Chicago is well know as a town with many steak houses, surely Gibson's is one of then, Mortons, The Palm, Gene & Georgetti's & Ruth's Chris, excellent if you're looking for a good steak (in some cases large enough to be considered a roast!), for more unique Chicago dining, you might try OneSixtyBlue (Michael Jordan's restaurant) in the river north area, Pasteur (vietnamese/french) a bit further north, or in Pilsen a wonderful place called Xni-Pec (Shnee-Peck), Irazu (the cities' only bona fide Costa Rican Restaurant) which is a hole-in-the-wall on Milwaukee, and lastly for a fru-fru contemporary Japanese restaurant, Japonaise on Chicago is very exciting.

I'm sure more people will add their favorites... there are just too many places to choose from in Chicago... it's kinda like asking where to shop!! don't get me started.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Rodities in Greek Town. That's where the Greeks eat.
When are you coming to visit?
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2008
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Jim,
If you are in Chicago for one day perhaps you might stick to Michigan Avenue for your viewing and dining. The Art Institute of Chicago, located at Jackson and Michigan Avenues, is a world class collection and a must see. Located about one mile to the north is the Museum of Contemporary Art at Fairbanks and Chicago. As far as dining, For dining you might enjoy The Grand Luxe at Michigan, but the truth is that anything you might want at any price point is easily accessible via cab. If you crave a beautiful steak, go to Gibson's at Rush and Oak. Actually, in the vicinity of this restaurant are a ton of choices, it just depends on what suits you. Chicago is a city of interlocking neighborhoods, and you will find tremendous options in Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, East Village, Andersonville, West Loop, etc. You may find metromix.com Chicago of great use.

Chicago is wonderful city to visit and an even better one in which to live. Enjoy your time here.

Tom
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2008
Oh, Patrick. Green is not a good color for you. It makes you look.... sallow.
What?...Best Answer for a Typo?
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Elvis, Tom, Patrick and Ruth - I wish I could award 5 best answers on this one. Had to pick Patti for her cute use of the word lurve. - Next Shytown BA contest - Why did Frank Sinatra call it "that toddling town?"