Trixie, Home Owner in Punta Gorda, FL

does it pay to upgrade to stainless appliances?

Asked by Trixie, Punta Gorda, FL Thu May 10, 2012

we may want to sell if a few years and are redoing the kitchen

If your intent is to sell in "A FEW YEARS' it will not matter one bit what appliances you install. If they are not less than a year old at time of sale, they have NO influence on value.

What a homeowner should do who is thinking of selling 'IN A FEW YEARS' is to make the improvements THEY will enjoy for THEIR benefit....PERIOD. That will be the only ROI they may receive.

Your focus needs to be converting an obsolete space into contemporary space. If you fail in this conversion you will find your investment wasted when you sell 'in a few years.'

Now, relax, make the improvement you and those important to you can enjoy and celebrate. You have no control over what happens in A FEW YEARS OR MORE IF EVER.
I personally don't think it makes a difference when selling as far as price. I don't like stainless steel and many buyers don't either.
Stainless steel has a neutral quality that some people really like. People will notice if the appliances are on the newer end of the scale. Having something that is new or almost new can be an attractive quality. Especially when it comes to appliances in the kitchen because a lot of people use the kitchen regularly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 19, 2014
We definitely recommend stainless! Simple painting of rooms in neutral colors also is a help when selling a home later.
Stainless is always a good bet for attracting the luxury buyer, if you are remodeling this would be a wise choice. If your appliances are in good condition though, it is not necessary to replace them for the sole reason of increasing the potential selling price.
Quality appliances are very expensive.If you are updating the entire kitchen, update the appliances
too.If not, keep the existing appliances if in good working order.Many people who ran out to purchase stainless appliances found the constant cleaning of fingerprints on stainless surfaces
drive them crazy.For that reason, I too don't like stainless surfaces.

Stainless steel appliances are certainly in vogue now and have been for some time. We recommend upgrading, however it will not likely increase the value of the home by a large degree.
I need to know the following.

General location of property?

Size of home, bedrooms, baths etc?

What you wish to sell home for?

Are you currently remodling?

If you are in a tight market with little equity I would advise sell as is.

If you have alot of equity and are in a tight market then yes upgrade appliances or allow for an appliance credit.

Hope all goes well and best of luck.
If your current appliances are in good, working condition, I wouldn't replace them. Although some buyers prefer stainless steel appliance especially in the higher price range, others do not care. If you are remodeling the entire kitchen and need to replace the appliances, I would go with stainless steel.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
Yes, buyers notice all upgrades! The kitchen is the heart of the home and buyers will take note.
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013