Design & Decor in Richmond>Question Details

Brenda Feria, Real Estate Pro in 23233

Would you refuse to buy a house that did not have a fireplace?

Asked by Brenda Feria, 23233 Mon Oct 4, 2010

Answers

12
Don Maclary - Realtor* ABR*’s answer
If a fireplace is on the gotta have list, Dont show houses without one unless a seller is willing to put one in to make a deal work. But by all means don't buy a home you don't like!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 24, 2010
I don't know as I would refuse, but my old house also had a wood burning fireplace and I miss it so much! It may not be a deal breaker but it could very well be a deal maker!
For me fireplaces don't mean very much. But that's me. I never use one. For others, it might be a deal breaker. And I agree that it does depends on the region of the country you live in.
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 5, 2010
I personally probably would pass on a house that doesn't have a fireplace. It seems to be a "must-have" on many buyer's lists and knowing that we moved a lot in the past, I would want to have features that not only I enjoy but that others want. That being said, if I LOVED the home and it was missing a fireplace, I would look into the cost to add one.
My home has a fireplace that I never use but it looks really great. It was customized with a type of stone over lay. I do not know if I could make a home buying decision solely based on a fireplace. If all of the other factors were right with no fireplace; I would buy. However, if I just felt like I wassettling on the home; I would move on and look for one with a fireplace. I think they add to the warm feeling that you get when you walk into a beautiful home.
Personally i wont refuse to buy a house that is without a fireplace because now a days so many portable and beautiful fire pit or fireplaces are available in the market. There can be other factors to refuse a house for buying.
Web Reference: http://www.firepitsplus.com
If the property worked for me in all other ways (neighborhood, floor plan, price etc) I would not refuse to buy it for the lack of a fireplcae. Adding the typical fireplace on an exterior wall is relatively inexpensive ($1500 - $2500). Many people don't realize that the vast majority of firpelaces they see now a days are not real masonory fireplaces, they are simply inserted wood or gas log fireplaces. They do not cost much and installing them is realitvely easy for a contractor. The enetire job typically takes a half a day or so.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 24, 2010
Great question Brenda, personally I love fireplace. But if I was purchasing and had a small budget that would not be a deal breaker. I had clients who absolutely wanted the fireplace, they have given up some other facts about the home inorder to have that feature.
Web Reference: http://www.eNOVAhomes.com
It sure does depend on the buyer. The one thing I miss having in my home is a fireplace, I never had one and always wanted to have one. Should it be a deal braker? I dont know..... a fireplace may be installed, it may not be one with a chimney though. I have learned something interesting this past week, it is more efficient to have a wood burning stove rather then a fireplace because a fireplace takes most of it's heat out the chimney when a wood burning stove distributes heat in to the room.
That would depend on the buyer and what they are looking for in a house. Some like fireplaces, some do not.
Obviously depends on buyer preference - for me, I would probably identify that as a required feature - which is rather silly since we rarely use our fireplace. Also depends on area of the country which influences buyer preferences and expectations.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Personally I put a lot of value on a fireplace -- and not just any fireplace -- it has to be wood-burning. My current home does not have a fireplace and that is not a mistake I will make a second time.