Design & Decor in Neptune>Question Details

Jess, Home Owner in Neptune, NJ

Which is more appealing to buyers a spare bedroom or office space?

Asked by Jess, Neptune, NJ Sat Mar 26, 2011

We are currently working on getting our home ready to potentially put on the market. We own a 2 bed 1.5 bath tri-level townhome and we currently have a computer desk and futon in the spare bedroom. Should we consider removing the computer desk and futon and replacing it with a twin/full bed for selling purposes or will potential buyers look past our room's purpose for their own?

Also, how willing are buyers to look past a brightly colored room? The same room mentioned above is painted a fairly bright aqua blue. Should be go through the pain of removing everything from the room and painting it nuetral before we put on the market or will the buyers see past the bright color and be able to invision it how they would like it?

Answers

9
I think the overriding principle that rules here is: show, don't tell.

By leaving things as-is, you'd be TELLING people, "Oh, this could be a third bedroom; oh, you can just paint YOUR favorite color here." By doing what you suspect is best, you'd be showing them: "See, this is the third bedroom." And, there'd be no crazy colors for them to paint over - it would look just fine.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 26, 2011
Your home will have more value and appeal to a larger pool of buyers with an extra bedroom. In addition, I always advise my clients to keep the décor neutral, light and bright appeals to the masses
Jess,

Sorry to say you most definately need to get rid of the "brightly colored room" . . . that is hard to look beyond for buyers.

As for the "spare" bedroom. It depends. How spacious does it appear with the desk and futon? If it gives a cluttered look and feel, I'd say a change is in order. However, with the long days on market I'd hate to see you disrupt your life for months on end . . . .I know how important my computer/office is to me. Unless it really looks cluttered, I often tell my clients to leave things "as is" until we get some feedback. If you choose a good agent that solicits feedback for all showings, then you will have an idea how the room is affecting potential buyers. At that time, you can make a change.

I am familiar with some of the townhomes in Neptune. If you would like for me to come out and give you some suggestions, it would be my pleasure.

Sincerely.
Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate
Francesca@Patriziore.com
732.606.2931 (Cell 24/7)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Neutral colors are always better. As long as the room is staged well and clean you should be fine as an office. You should talk to your realtor. Assuming they are local and know the market for your home, they will have ideas on the type of buyer you are marketing to.
Web Reference: http://www.daverealty.com
Jess,

We find that most buyers prefer neutral and light colored rooms....this allows them to more comfortable project their furninshing in the existing space.

On the second bedroom issue, regardless of what you name it, it's a bedroom space. Our recommendation, is to emember that you have to live in the home and therefore its utility to you is an important consideration. So don't overlook your needs.

In doing so, make sure the space is tastfully decorated and appealing. Your agent may have some thoughts on this.

Best wishes,

Hi there, I recommend staging the second bedroom in such a way that it is clear that it is a bedroom. As for the bright paint, neutralize it before you put your home in the market - don't let your personal choice of paint get in the way of a sale. While I always stress to buyers that paint is the easiest and least expensive issue to cure, the fact is when a home has bright/dramatic colors, it distracts the buyer and often gets in the way of their seing themselves living in the home. Neutral colors are best - add your color with accents.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I would say leave it as a spare bedroom with the futon and computer desk. A lot of people use a spare bedroom as multi-functional. Many of my buyers are turned off by bright colors but others will overlook it and paint it the way they want when they move in. Although a netural color is always best. I would give it some time the way it is and see what feedback you get. If too many people are turned off by the bright color, then maybe painting would be a good idea.

Tammy Hayes, Green Lion Realty tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Jess

Paint is the cheapest investment with the highest return in selling a home. Repainting a neutral color will pay off greatly in the marketing your home. Buyers react negatively to bright colors. Also the photos posted on the Internet are critical to drawing buyers to your home and the neutral color walls with serve you well in this regard.
Hi again!

Yes, spare bedroom, especially in a 2 bed unit is pretty essential. Buyers can always reconfigure it any way they want it but if you are selling it as a 2 bed, I would present it as a 2 bed.

And yes, I hate to say it but painting the room a neutral color would be worth the time. It cost little, would take a day of your time and could make a difference especially if there are a lot of other units in your development to choose from. Buyers don't want to envision and they don't want to face doing what you yourself have admitted to not wanting to do. They just want to be able to move in without looking at a color which may be a turn off for them.