Design & Decor in San Carlos>Question Details

Timothy Chin…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

What brand of paint should I use for the interior of my home?

Asked by Timothy Chingos, San Francisco, CA Wed Aug 10, 2011

I've heard mixed reviews about Behr (mostly negative). Decent things about Sherman William, Kelly Moore and Benjamin Moore. I'm comfortable spending $30/gallon. I'm just trying to figure out what brand will splatter the least, have great coverage and last the longest.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks for the help!

Answers

8
Timothy, I have done a lot of rehabs, remodels and redecorating and, hands down, Kelly Moore is the best paint out there. More professional painters use Kelly Moore than any other brand. It does cost a little more, but it is so worth it. Additionally, they are EXPERTS at matching paints or making custom colors. I have taken them a paint chip or a swatch of fabric and they matched it exactly.

Best to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 10, 2011
I have used Behr paint in practically every room in my home, and have never had problems with it, but Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have terrific colors and their salespeople are very knowledgeable. As for the splatter, it's all about technique; if there's too much paint on the roller and you roll it on the wall fast, splattering will happen. Slow and steady application yields much better results and much less clean-up!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
Timothy, Thank you so much for the "best answer" award! By the way, if you are doing a "DIY" project: Use the small 1" by 6" rollers...It is surprising how much easier they are to work with. More control, less mess and much easier to work with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 10, 2011
I'm a big fan of Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. Yes, they tend to be more expensive, but they offer better coverage, and require fewer coats. They also seem to last longer.

No idea about splatter... I think that has more to do with the quality of your roller, and the speed at which you roll it on.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 10, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Behr is my favorate and seems rated at the top. Guess it's a personal choice like buying a car?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 10, 2011
Go with the highest-quality paint available. Your actual material cost will be the smallest part of the job.

My wife (who does home staging) likes Sherwin Williams. Benjamin Moore also makes excellent paint. But don't just look at the manufacturer; look for specific paint lines by that manufacturer. Just like you wouldn't go into a fancy steak house and then try to save a few dollars by ordering the hamburger.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 10, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
My boyfriend and I have rent houses. We have recently discovered the Behr paint with the primer in it. OMGosh! We had to paint a house that the renter had painted each room a different color, including Razorback Red, Mustard Orange and Lime Green! ONE COAT with the Behr with primer covered every color!!! I was shocked!!! and relieved! LOL But seriously, if you don't go skimpy on the paint you put on your roller, this paint will cover any color!! I love it and won't use anything else now!
Valspar seems to be a great choice, at least from my previous usage.