Trulia San F…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are typical steps for a home remodeling project?

Asked by Trulia San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Tue Nov 27, 2012

Answers

9
How about this:

1> Think about what you'd like to accomplish with the project:
ie: simple updating or decor, existing systems, and appliances, or structural alterations, or
room additions, or a total rebuild.

2> Based on your rough plan, ask professionals if plans and permits are required.

3> Price it out based on high side estimates.

4> Evaluate: does this work for the budget we had in mind before starting, or do we now have
sticker shock?

5> Modify if needed to redesign the work to fit your budget, and make sure you have a very large
contingency cushion for hidden damage, and unexpected changes etc.

6> Hire the architect if needed, check legal issues.

7> When answers are all collected, and plans set, then take bids.

8> Check references very carefully, including complaints, and Contractors License Board, and
don't sign any contracts without having an construction attorney review them to advise you
first. Expensive you say? Being sued is far more expensive I say!
I highly suggest using SafePact.com. They make sure your home improvement project is a secure one. Here's a great video they provide in helping homeowners know what questions to ask when hiring a contractor. http://youtu.be/8uly_1sNofo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
If a few local contractors and get 3 different quotes and references from each. Do some home work and follow your gut and listen to what the past clients are telling you about there work ethics and pricing. I have been married to a home improvement contractor for 25 years and he doesn't need a high priced Architect to draw what he can build. Save the money and find a great contractor.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
I just figured out why they're not opening. It's the parentheses. If you remove them then cut and paste them to your address bar they should open. Thanks for your indulgence.
For some reasons the links I submitted are not opening when prompted. You may need to copy and paste them but I would strongly suggest you check them out. I'm not suggesting you consider these companies as they are in San Diego. But I just wanted to give you some food for thought.
GeezeLaweeze, you're not building the Taj Mahal are you? I certainly don't see any reason for you to bare the expense of hiring an attorney for a remodel unless you're dripping with cash. Some of these ideas are great if not essential.

But the most important thing you can do after connecting all those dots is to hire an experienced architect or interior designer who knows and understands structural remodeling and design. http://{www.intimatelivinginteriors.com}

Then go out to bid with experienced general contractors who are remodeling and room addition specialists. http://{www.chadofalltrades.com}.

Get at least 3 estimates. verify their contractors license with {http://www.cslb.ca.gov}. They will also give you the bonding company information.

Check to make sure they have General Liability Insurance and get a copy of their policy and review it.

The only expense thus far that you should have incurred is the cost for your design. If you think your project is so huge and/or expensive or if you just plain don't trust anyone then spend your money on an attorney.

As an expert witness for the past 20 plus years I think attorneys are way over rated and over used. People stub their toes and think they need to retain an attorney. You'd be surprised what you can do without one.
I always look for the latest trends of home remodeling and when I ran out of idea or I feel lazy about doing it,I would always seek help from professionals,try http://www.ptlandscapeinc.com/.they offer the best remodeling.
By all means do not hire a contractor without having a plan. If you're not an architect then you need to hire one. I've been a general contractor and developer of 30 years and would never try to contract with a client that didn't have an approved plan from a local building jurisdiction.
due diligence i.e. contacting your local building jurisdiction to check zoning and related costs i.e. infrastructure, school fees, additional taxes, etc. Then find an Architect, competent licensed, bonded & insured contractor with lots of current local references, permits. For this I'd reach out to at least 3 of each and go with what works best for you and who really gives you warm fuzzies.