Design & Decor in Las Vegas>Question Details

Dawn Barrier…, Real Estate Pro in Las Vegas, NV

Tile or Wood? Which would you prefer for your floors and why?

Asked by Dawn Barrier 702-812-4550, Las Vegas, NV Tue Feb 2, 2010

I get a lot of different answers when I ask my buyers this question and I'm curious what everyone across the nation gives for an answer.

Answers

10
Vegasheat’s answer
I love real wood but not in the Las Vegas area because it's too dry and it will eventually bow or crack. I have friends that have used wood and put humidifiers in their houses and the wood still cracked. Tile is the only way to go. Carpet isn't good in a dry dusty climate too but will work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 4, 2012
PS......vinyl.......no..........it is seen as a low end choice, no matter how practical it might be

pergo and laminates...........no to those, too......I mean, they rank above vinyl, but below real hardwood..........just watch HGTV, and you'll see how the buyers show disdain for the laminates...................the only exception might be in a basement playroom, where it is a practical floor covering.
Personally, I prefer tile. It is easy to clean and lasts a long time. Real wood is warmer, but requires more maintenance.

I don't really like Pergo unless its professional installed. I see too many houses where there are gaps, dishing, etc.

Linoleum is for houses priced under $100K, and there are only a few patterns that I think show well.

I go for tile every time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 3, 2010
Buyers today see hardwood floors, and they faint with excitement!

The irony is...many years ago most houses (in my area) were routinely built with HW floors.... builders included HW in the base price.......... the new buyers quickly covered them with w/w carpeting!

Now, the hardwood is the upgrade...........so........hardwood in all its glorious colors (not bleached, anymore though) is post popular - even in bedrooms (I still like my bedrooms carpeted).

The choice for flooring in the kitchen is still up for grabs..........My personal preference in the kitchen is for tile...........although hardwood is still a sought-after floor covering there for many buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 3, 2010
Hello Dawn,

I would never use vinyl in my house. It may have a long service life, but it looks and feels cheap. I suggest a combo of Tile and Wood, if done correctly it can create an elegant pattern, style, and asthetic look. Tile and wood helps keep the floors cool, thus reducing your energy cost. The grout is not hard to keep clean and neither are the flooring materials.

Jason Allen Gardner
NV REALTOR ® & Property Management Permit Holder
THINK GREEN. THINK EXIT.
Exit Realty Imoti
8260 West Charleston Blvd. Suite #1
Las Vegas, NV 89117
(Cell) 702-806-6968 (Fax) 702-966-3732
E-Mail: jagsellslvre@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.jagnvrealtor.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 2, 2010
linoleum that is solid color vinyl all the way through. It has an exceptionally long service life with minimal maintenance compared to your options.

Tile has those cracks filled with grout that collect dirt. Wood needs waxing and ends up slippery.
A big sheet of linoleum has no cracks and dirt is easy to remove.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 2, 2010
Good call about the dirt!
Flag Mon Jul 9, 2012
Thanks for all your input! Would love to hear more comments from buyers and current homeowners too.
Web Reference: http://www.LasVegasDawn.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
I think it really depends on the location (climate), and personal tastes. I prefer wood (if its not a very high traffic area).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 11, 2010
From our perspective, simply stated in warmer climates the edge goes to tile because of its cooling effect while wood provides a warmer feeling for the cooler climates.
Hi Dan!

You know I almost put linoleum/vinyl in the question, but out here in Las Vegas, I don't think I have ever had anyone say they want it over the other 2 choices. I guess I should have put laminate/pergo type floors as part of that question too. So, for everyone else,,go ahead and comment whatever your choice may be.
Web Reference: http://www.DawnBarrier.com