Design & Decor in Charlotte>Question Details

NA,  in Charlotte, NC

Poll Question of the Day: What do you all think about formal living rooms? Love 'em, hate 'em, how do you use 'em?

Asked by NA, Charlotte, NC Fri Dec 17, 2010

Feel free to answer this question on my FB business page as well: http://www.facebook.com/#!/BallantyneRealEstate

Answers

10
Formal living rooms are in less demand. People are going more for media or recreation rooms. I turned mine into an office. I have lived in several homes with formal living rooms and rarely used them.
They just became more of a sitting room when I had a lot of company. And even then, people were afraid to sit in there. They are more just a showcase for furniture if you ask me.
Thanks everyone for your answers! I asked the question because my husband and I are contemplating turning ours into a billiards room. It just seems like a wasted space because there is a den area and a bonus room area in our house, so we already have 2 seating areas and 2 large TVs. I love the idea of using the space as a billiards room!

I've been working with a lot of buyers and I've found that most of them feel like the formal living room is wasted space and they don't want one. The only buyers that I have worked with that want one are older buyers.
Josie,

I love mine. Comments from buyers are we dont have enough furniture and some with younger children forego that use for the space and use it for something else. The buyers that I have experienced with older children or without any in the house love this space! Like I said these are the ones I have experienced. Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays,

Vera
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 19, 2010
Hello Josie,
Yes, it seems that formal living rooms are becoming less in demand as home owners with families prefer a more informal family room and an addtional space for a play room, game room, or media room. Those homes that still utilize their living rooms seem to use it to display their quality art pieces and also have a formal dining room nearby for entertaining so that the living room is still functionable.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I find that in Colorado, people are more casual, and don't really use a formal living room. Personally, I don't use my living room for anything. I'd much rather have a bigger "great room" or family room.
In Northeast OH, we find that Buyers generally prefer a formal living room, formal dining room and a family room and/or recreation room. This may be a regional preference. We have some harsh winter weather that means more inside time and the need for family members and guests to have more opportunities for alternative areas within a home.
Most of my clients seem to feel that it is a waste of space. When you go to take a listing, usually the people have no furniture in this room, but the rest of the home is furnished. I guess they can never figure what to do with this space.
It's a great place to put a Christmas Tree! Seriously, except in very small homes people seem to like at least 2 living areas. One might be used as a game or media room and the main living might not be so
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
it clearly depends on the buyer and type of house. For the average family, a useable living room, family room or great room is much mor eimportant than a room full of furniture no one can sit on. If it is an executive home or luxury home, a formal living room is a must.

The key differences are if it is a 1200 sf home, 1600sf home, 2000sf home or 4000 sf home, you have to use the space in most convenient way to how that home owner lives their lives.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
Good Morning Josie;
It appears that half of the buyers love 'em....the other half love an open floor plan.
I will say that an informal living room does not go over too well.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com