Design & Decor in New York>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Living in tiny quarters

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Mon Jul 30, 2012

Mayor Bloomberg recently announced a competition to build "micro-units" of 300 sq ft or less.

More info here: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/efficiencies-wa…

What advice do you have for living in teeny, tiny quarters?

Answers

3
Less is more... go paperless on all bank statements & other mailings. Lots of stylish futons out there that can convert into a bed at night. Great way to force yourself into "neatness" is by having less space to be sloppy :-)
There's a trend of sorts towards tiny houses - houses, in fact, that are just about the same size as the "micro-units'. It's a matter of simplifying, downsizing, editing, multi-function, etc. I live in a four-bedroom house - by myself - and I've filled it top to bottom. But I remember being very happy when I did rental sharing years ago and had my small third-floor bedroom fitted with everything I needed that made me happy - which at that time was a bed, a desk, tv, stereo and lots of books. It's a lifestyle choice - and it sounds like a great opportunity to have a place in NYC!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
Use what you need and make the best of what you have, less is more:)