Design & Decor in Venice>Question Details

princsbride13, Home Owner in Venice, FL

Is there anything I can do about having my neighbor trim his trees and fix my fence from his tree branches growing through it?

Asked by princsbride13, Venice, FL Tue Feb 19, 2013

I have lived here 3 years, had a brand new 6 foot privacy fence put up, and he lined it with about 15 trees still in pots. (He's a landscaper and was going to sell them.) After they started growing through the fence I asked him to move them back, when he didn't I cut the braches poking through. Since then, they have grown way over the fence. He never sold them and planted them a foot away from my fence. My fence now leans two to three feet in some areas and many of the pickets are broken. I have asked him 3 times to PLEASE do something... once he helped me nail some pickets back on. The fence is ruined. What can I do? He obviously doesn't want to take responsibility and he says when I trim his trees they don't flower right... like HE's upset with ME! Also, this line of fence extends to the front yard and last week someone in his family hit it with their car then propped it up with a wooden beam. I put a note on their door asking them to come over and explain, but they are avoiding me.

Help the community by answering this question:


What are you planning on trimming? Taking off some lower branches on your side won't hurt the tree if done will only annoy your neighbor. However, I would let him know what you are going to do before you do it, even if he won't like it. And I suggest that you model good neighbor behavior by telling him you know your back yard needs to be cleaned up, and then do it.

If the base of the tree is very close to the fence line, I would probably build up to it from either side and leave a little clearance. You can also choose to have the fence jog around it, but I wouldn't recommend that because that will result in your neighbor being able to legally claim that little area as his own some years down the road.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2013
Try the Sarasota County Code Enforcement to see if there is anything they can do. Here is the web site:…
Phone: 941-861-5000

I am not sure if you are located in the city of Venice. They may have their own Code Enforcement Department.

Tanmmy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 19, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer