Design & Decor in New York>Question Details

Cuddy, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Is the trend now using grey walls-no added color.Also how long do decorating trends last?

Asked by Cuddy, New York, NY Tue Aug 17, 2010

Answers

3
HI Cuddy,

Fast forward two-years and this still seems to be trendy. What did you end up deciding? I came across this article and it made me think of your question:

http://www.californiaclosets.com/interior-decorating

Cheers,
Ali, Community Manager
There are new decorating trends every year, and they overlap. The best ones last fifteen years or so - think Jonathan Adler's turquoise-and-brown combo, which has lasted for about a decade with little signs of getting old.

Even design professionals can get stuck in the past, so it might be worthwhile to determine who your potential buyer is and consult with an interior designer or decorator who can give you a palette to work from that will appeal to them.

With all due respect to my colleague, Charles, who appears to be about my age - the trend seems to be going away from stainless steel. Jenn-Air has introduced "oiled-bronze" and "floating-glass white" to their product line . . .
From my experience as a Real Estate Professional for over 21 years, I have found that my buyers, in general, are looking for clean, well kept homes and condos with neutral but exciting colors. Certain shades of blue, green and gray have a tendency to negate the positive aspects of most interiors. If one is going for a sleek modern appeal with stainless steel counters and appliances, then a gray accent wall may be appropriate! Earth tones are still preferred in the long run as long as they are muted. Good luck with your decorating and it is always a good idea to consider using a professional decorator when selecting colors for your home! Have a Great Day!!