Design & Decor in 01810>Question Details

Ram, Other/Just Looking in 01810

Is butterscotch stained hardwood floor suitable for Kraftmaid Honeyspice maple cabinets (new)?

Asked by Ram, 01810 Fri Jan 29, 2010

We just received our Kraftmaid Honeyspice stained maple cabinets. While we were aware of color variations, it is much lighter than the sample we saw in the store. The finish is almost natural. For flooring, we were originally going to use Red Oak natural stain as that is what we have in the dining and family rooms. We have a 'L' shaped kitchen (no island). Should we continue to use natural stain for flooring or go for Butterscotch stain to give a contrast? Would the Butterscotch stained floor make the room look smaller and hide the grains? We are confused.

We have flexibility in choosing granite countertop color (dark or light) or wall color. You thoughts are appreciated.

PS: We have decided not to go for tile. An east facing window brings light to kitchen.

Answers

3
Laura’s answer
If the flooring in the kitchen boarders the dining and family room it's best to keep it in the same color tones but does not have to match. This will give all the areas a larger over all feel. I would use the counter top to add contrast and interest. Is there a back splash? Wall color would tie everything in, keep it fairly netural. Can you send pictures? Laura
Ram,

Your confusion may be resolved by visiting a show room that has larger sections of sample flooring available for comparison purposes. We suggest bringing a drawer of cupboard door along with you to help with the comparison.

The Eckler Team
Hello Ram- Are you selling this home you are doing all this to? Or is this a new home you just moved into?
I used to coordinate finishes and selections for dozens of home and condo buyers. I'm not an interior designer but I've seen a lot things work and some that didn't work.

Generally, you do NOT want your wood flooring to simply blend into your wood cabinetry. You want some kind of shade/ color contrast between the two.
We used the honeyspice from KM all the time- and Maple was our most popular. But the 1 door sample in the showroom is almost always different from what you actually receive at your home. That is the way it is. Its not an exact science.
If I can be of other help here, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.