Design & Decor in Nashville>Question Details

Bailie Rhea…, Real Estate Pro in Brentwood, CA

Has anyone noticed the new trend of painting the fireplace bricks white? What do you all really feel about it?

Asked by Bailie Rhea Hodges, Brentwood, CA Mon Dec 23, 2013

Answers

11
Heather Lamp’s answer
A brick fireplace can make a house seem dated, depending on its age. And paint is NOT easy to remove! An alternative: cover the fireplace with a wood or stone surround that could be removed in the future.

Here's an example: http://www.christinefife.com/design-with-christine/2012/5/2/…

White paint does lead to discoloration from soot (as Scott mentions). I think the biggest motivation is to freshen up an area that is difficult to renovate. Someone says it's hard to remove paint from brick, but it's also hard to remove brick! If you are considering painting a fireplace, why not choose something not quite as stark as white -- like a medium gray, or perhaps a burgundy? It will still provide the fresh look but it will wear better.
It goes back to the 1920s, no?

It's easy to do, and difficult to undo.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
lol very difficult to undo.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
I have been contemplating this same question. I have a brick fireplace in my home that goes all the way to the ceiling. We have lived in the home for 5 years and have never used it once. I want to remove it to open the wall up to my kitchen. The home is only 8 years old, so the brick fireplace is not old. It is a reddish brick, but looks more country and I want a modern feel. Best of you to you in whatever you decide to do.
Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Or even more shocking would be the trend of removing the fireplace all together. I personally know of a large amount of renovations in Florida were the fireplace got the boot to make a more open larger living room. Personally in Florida a fireplace is really not a selling feature as it may get used once a year, but i'm sure in colder climates they are still popular.
It appears that we are in an irreversible trend toward change; but that could change.
I personally like the look of natural brick and would not paint. I've had clients that have not liked the look of the brick and wanted them painted. Worse for me is painting the exterior brick.
As someone who spent many hours trying to remove paint from a fireplace surround, my advice would be not to do this.

Ann
Yes and if the fireplace is used on a regular basis it soon will show a pattern of the soot. I much prefer brick left natural brick.
Many, many houses paint inside Fireplaces & outside brick white. My opinion is it is not something I personally would do. Allan
With a firplace being the focal point of a room, sometimes painting the fireplace can add character and brighten up the room. It also may make a smaller room appear larger. Just a few subtle changes in a home can make a difference in selling. LaTonya Martin, Broker, Accredited Home Stager (615) 582-1156
Grande Style Homes
(615) 468-1050