Design & Decor in San Ramon>Question Details

Cupar, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Faux porciline wood tiles verses hard wood floors or porciline stone look tiles for resale, we have 4 small dogs live in orange county ca. Slab house?

Asked by Cupar, San Ramon, CA Sun Sep 16, 2012

Answers

6
http://learn.builddirect.com/flooring-info/animals/pets/

check this site for great info on flooring with pets. Will help guide you for resale purposes.

Debbie Olson
Sotheby's International Realty
360 Diablo Road
Danville, CA 94526

debbie.olson@sothebysrealty.com
925-918-5678
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
I've personally had better luck with the stone look tiles. But that being said, this is all just a matter of opinion. I just feel with my kids and dog it has been a lot easier to have the stone tile in Vancouver, that we do. I wouldn't change it for the world. Yet, everything has it's pro's and con's to having it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure if you are planning to sell now or in a number of years - if it will be a while before you are on the market, then consider putting down a floor you like – enjoy it while you live there, then put in a new floor if necessary just before you put your home on the market. Bernard is right - when you get ready to sell, put down a floor that is in keeping with other homes in the area.

As for faux wood porcelain tiles … no.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
Any type of wood will show scratches of any type. Dogs, regardless of size, will leave their mark one way or another. Some folks will consider it "character" when these scratches appear. Some folks won't think so.

IF you like the look of wood, you should explore some laminate flooring (they've come a long, long way from the early Pergo-type flooring). Budget-wise, it's kinder on one's pocket.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
You are generally best advised to go with what is the norm for the area. Do most of the upscale homes around there have hardwood? If that is the case, hardwood would be a better bet than porcelain tile. I know many people advise against hardwood with dogs but some hardwoods are harder than others. A good hardwood floor seller should be able to advise on that.

I know in many parts of southern CA, tiled floors are the norm. Often even saltillo tiles. I would be wary of faux wood porcelain tiles. Not exactly mainstream and very much a matter of personal taste.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Hi Cupar,

Hardwood floors seem to be very popular if you will be changing them right before resale. If you will still stay there for a while, perhaps a harder material would work well for the 4 dogs.

Kind regards,

Arpad