Design & Decor in San Ramon>Question Details

rhutson, Home Seller in San Ramon, CA

Does acoustic tile add value to a basement ceiling? Trying to decide if I do dry wall or acoustic tile for basement ceiling.

Asked by rhutson, San Ramon, CA Sat Apr 13, 2013

Answers

7
Acoustic tile is so old-fashioned. Better go with drywall for a more finished look that doesn't scream "cheap" or "amateur" or "bad taste"
Although I agree with Debbie about the ease of access to the sub-floor systems - great for installing cable, running speaker wires and accessing plumbing on the upper floor ...

Here on the west coast, acoustic tile or T-Bar systems typically say, "I did it myself". Most people here prefer the look of finished sheetrock. Therefore, acoustic tile won't add value - in my opinion, it will actually detract.
.
Drywall is the best choice. People may think the acoustic tile is hiding something. Hope our votes help!

Tracy Parker
Prudential CA Realty
Drywall definitely will look better.
I agree that drywall will look more finished.
Suzanne Looker
Drywall is more attractive, but...........a dropped ceiling in a basement is really more practical if there is ever a need to check the subflooring, beams or look for leaks.............much easier to remove a few tiles than cut up a ceiling....

I had a flood in my basement 3 years ago follwing a hurricane (sump pump failed) - had to replace many of the ceiling tiles - it cost a lot less than replacing and painting sheetrock.
Drywall would be the nearly unanimous vote of my customers. It never goes out of date or feels dated.