Jennifer, Home Seller in Massachusetts

Do i need to repaint the bold colored rooms in my house in order to sell?

Asked by Jennifer, Massachusetts Thu Oct 9, 2008

Some of the rooms in my house are deep or bold colors like burgundy, and a color that looks like peanut butter. and the master bed is a medium blue color. Should I repaint them off white? Would it help it to Sell faster?

Answers

15
Hello Jennifer,
When selling your home you want to attract the largest pool of potential buyers possible. 87% of buyers shop online first before going out to see a property, you want your home to be on their must see list, right?? Don't wait for a buyer looking for burgandy and blue room, painting those rooms neutral colors will give it the move-in ready quality buyers love! Best of luck to you, Ronelle~ Oomph! Home Staging
Jennifer,

You may find it easier to paint the wall in neutral colors, as it is easier on the eyes. Painting the walls in softer tones will also give the appearance that the room is bigger. You should focus on the outside of the house first, making sure the lawn is nice, windows, walls, etc. Good link below, remember to re-paint your door!
I am not in your area, however I have been a buyers agent for eight years, so I have had the priviledge of listening to buyers comments firsthand as they tour properties and thought I would offer my insight.

I can say with 100% certainty that your home will be more appealing to buyers if it is neutralized. Paint the walls a nice off white or taupe depending on the color of your woodwork. (Off white with dark woodwork, taupe with white woodwork). Buyers like bright, open and airy spaces.

You will need to make your home stand out to sell in this market, so be sure to tour the competition in your neighborhood to make sure you are priced competitively.

Best of luck with the sale of your home!
Hi Jennifer,

This is a question I get most every day! I like to respond by saying, if the home is in the price range for a first time home buyer then I would probaly offer a painting allowance before painting. I am seeing with todays tight credit crunch that first time buyers had rather have the credit up front and worry about changing the color later when the budget will allow. If the the home is in a higher price range and you have lots of competition in your market area then yes make the changes in the colors.

Jennifer,

Reading through the previous posts, you’ve received a lot of great information, but I have to disagree with what Karissa is saying here, "Try listing the property as is and at the price you would like or is suggested by your agent. Then see what the average consumers’ reaction is. If an overwhelming theme in feedback is the paint then paint it. -Karissa"

Once a potential buyer walks into your home, in less than a minute, they have made their decision and formed their first impressions. If after they view your house they are sitting down making decision, they are going to recall and label your home as "the one with the purple and blue walls!" If you get feedback that suggests the paint colors are giving off a bad vibe, then how are you going to get those who already toured your house to come back and look again? Most likely, you won't, and you've eliminated precious potential buyers! Why take that chance? If you have the funds available, paint, and make sure it’s a quality job and you can’t see the old paint colors underneath!

Please be sure to also pay attention to curb appeal, you don’t want to turn off potential buyers before they even walk in the door! You also need to pay strict attention to cleanliness, personal affects, religious & political items, etc… Make your home as neutral as possible, without making it look flat! If there are more serious problems around your home that need fixing, do that before painting!

As stated below, you can get the professional opinion of a Stager, which I would recommend. However, make sure you are well aware of your Stager’s abilities, as there is no official or professional accreditation for Stagers, it’s a free range design field.

Hi Jennifer,

There is such a huge inventory out there for buyers that they can afford to be very picky. With paint being such an affordable and fairly quick way to change the scope of how your home presents to potential buyers, I say yes, yes, yes.. Buyers today make quick decisions based on a first glance. Remember, you are looking to appeal to all, not some buyers....good luck Jennifer!
Dear Seller,

The average agent will tell you yes. I would say, without seeing it in person that I may not recommend it. It sounds like you feel these colors are bold but really they all sound pretty earthy.

I have sold many a neon green, yellow, pink, royal blue house inside and out and in those circumstances I know the price was affected by the 10’s of thousands. But your property may sell just fine in this market with a burgundy and peanut butter/sand color.

Try listing the property as is and at the price you would like or is suggested by your agent. Then see what the average consumers’ reaction is. If an overwhelming theme in feedback is the paint then paint it. Otherwise spend your time and money on something more productive at this point.

Just my opinion…

Good Luck,

Karissa Moore, Realtors
Hogan Real Estate,
978/410-5248
Hi Jennifer,

Definitely! I agree with the answers already posted. Go for a warm, neutral beige throughout your home. Benjamin Moore has a nice color palette, although Behr paint from Home Depot is less expensive. Home Depot can mix colors from other paint companies, so start from there. They also offer coupons on Behr paint around holiday weekends, so you might get lucky with Columbus Day!

You may also want to have a consultation from an Accredited Staging Professional. (ASP) You can search online for one in your area at http://www.stagedhomes.com, or I'd be happy to help you locate someone in your area.

Leigh Newport
Staged by Design
http://www.staged-by-design.com
I remember when I first started in this business, it always baffled me how buyers would pay attention to color schemes and overlook major problems when viewing a home. With the cost of painting a room, taking away a possible negative that could be the difference in the buyer making an offer is a no brainer.
Jennifer,

When you are selling a home, you are showcasing for the typical buyer preference. Neutral and light colors make a room appear larger, but eggshell walls and trim throughout can be bland and even boring without any added color or accessories. Having different bold colors of paint on the walls in each room will probably be too much personality for most buyers. Lean toward a neutral palette and bring in color through accents and accessories.

While you are painting, take the time to do some light staging. Once you are moving furniture and personal items around to paint, take the time to declutter and depersonalize the rooms. Showcase your home for the prospective buyer.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group - New Jersey
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Rumson, NJ
Neutral colors always work best Jennifer, and that doesn't necessarily mean just off white. Those lighter colors make the rooms appear larger and brighter. Step back in the room, look to see if it is too cluttered, that can also make a room appear too small. The larger the room appears, the better the home shows.
remember, the home you live in is different from the home you are selling.
If you can afford to, I would say it would be a good idea. Bold & dark colors appeal to some people, but not all. Warm, light colors allow buyers to imagine their own tastes & belongings in your home, which is exactly what you are shooting for. If they can picture their things in your home, then you are more likely to get an offer on your house. If you would like more ideas, I suggest hiring a staging expert to help. Of course, this assumes that you can afford to do these things.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Go neutral without a doubt. Mike is right about buyers making decisions with in the first second they enter the property
We only work with buyers at my company so we are around them 24/7 and I can tell you first hand that neutral magnifies the space and gives a better first impression. Unfortunately not everyone will appreciate your style so it is better to go neutral and get it right the first time around. Same goes with other personal items - de-clutter as much as possible so the buyer can visualize themselves living there.

You seem to want to do whatever it takes to sell your home as fast as possible. I would highly recommend painting, sticking to a neutral palette. It doesn't need to be off white, but beige, or any neutral tone will work. You are trying to appeal to the broadest range of potential buyers as possible, and exotic colors detract from this goal.

I would recommend hiring a stager, even for just a Do-It-Yourself Consultation. If your home is not yet on the market, I suggest staging BEFORE listing it. Staging is practical and will save you more money in the end than a price reduction.

Please feel free to contact me for additional information on staging.

Best of luck to you!
Without seeing the colors Jennifer, my gut tells me yes. People make up their minds, whether consciously or unconsciously, about a home in the first few seconds they are in it. Your bold colors may be the perfect match for some, but more likely will turn off a larger majority of potential buyers.

Neutral is King for attracting the widest pool of interested, qualified buyers. Let their creativity and imagination do the work, not yours.

Good luck and happy painting!

Mike