Pierre Calza…, Real Estate Pro in Alameda, CA

Do I need an interior designer? What are the pro's and con's? Also, what are typical costs? I don't need a contractor, just design help.

Asked by Pierre Calzadilla, Alameda, CA Sun Aug 25, 2013

We are buying a 3BR 2BTH in Castro Valley, we have some big ideas to make it our own. The place needs work. We have a great friend who is a contractor that does amazing work. But I am curious about the design portion. He would simply do what we ask, and provide guidance and suggestions. But I really want to see some ideas, or our ideas sketched out. What would that cost? 1,300 sq ft home.

Answers

3
You need an architect, not an interior designer. An interior designer will work with what's there. If you're using a contractor (and your friend can't handle the planning part), then you need an architect.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Glad to hear you finally found a home. Depends on who you ask for help - there are high-end designers who will charge high rates - or, as an example, you can hire our stager - she is a licensed stager and has helped many of our buyer clients redesign their homes after they move in. Her rates are much lower. In fact, if you had used us for your purchase, her services would have been free. On the other hand, you may want to contact a few local architects to see who they recommend.
A couple of thousand for some sketches after a few meetings, Pierre. I have a sense that there's just a bit of a gap between your good ideas and your excellent contractor's implementation that a good design professional can satisfy with the elegance that everyone involved with the project deserves.