Design & Decor in Bedford>Question Details

Robert Paul, Real Estate Pro in Bedford, NY

Client asked me what are the pros and cons of Tile or Wood on the kitchen floor.

Asked by Robert Paul, Bedford, NY Wed Dec 22, 2010

Some people love tile or stone on their kitchen floors for many reasons. Recently solid wood floors have been trending upwards. What is the best choice now?

Answers

11
In any areas where there are water facilities tile floors should be considered before a wooden floor. The main reason is water damage. Tile will create a much better water resistant and, or water proof surface. Wood may experience warping, and severe damage after water has spilled or leaked on the surface. Secondly if there are any repairs needed after a water leak tiles are much easier to replace, and repair. Tile is also less expensive when you consider labor cost.. I have been a general contractor for over 30 years.

I can assist you with any construction, and renovation questions.

Jessie Bonaparte
Miron Properties
917 806.1353
jbonaparte@mironproperties.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2014
Both are great options, but currently, in Westchester County, hardwood it the preferred choice, especially among new home buyers.

You might find this article handy. It covers both the pros and con of both hardwood and tile for the kitchen.

Kitchen floors - Is tile or hardwood better?
http://theflooringgirl.com/blog/kitchen-floors-is-hardwood-f…
I'm not sure there is a best choice. However, I think there is a safest. While wood can be trendy. Tile is most common to everyone. I would be really surprised if a sale was lost because of tile in the kitchen. Although, the are some who are not accustomed to wood and may not like it. Having worked in new construction and rehabbed for years I would say sticking with tile is the safest bet for most widespread demand.
Based on many concern(s)

Design of the kitchen
Current style of counter tops
Family lifestyle
Type of wood used
Type of tile used

Virtual opinion w/o reviewing the entire project how it all flows with remaining part of home difficult to render an opinion

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 24, 2010
Hi, I think the answer to this will be based on the clients lifestyle and how much activity there is in the home. Wood floors can take a beating with kids and pets unless they have the proper coating on them. I think tiles work for a certain look and are easier to care for. Hardwood in the kitchen has been popular for many years now and I feel it works best when it matches the rest of the house flooring. One other thing to take into consideration is tile flooring can be hard to match if extra tiles are need down the road. Some companies discontinue certain styles, so if one or more get broken it might be a headache.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
If you are prepping the house for sale, go with what's currently most popular in the nicer neighborhood homes. In my area (Kingstowne, Alexandria VA) nice quality tile floors are the standard for the "upgraded kitchen," just as are granite counters and stainless appliances. This probably varies from one region of the country to another. I would definitely avoide Pergo or laminates unless this is common in the neighborhood - these floors are soft and easily damaged by water. Not good in a kitchen. They also look cheap and buyers can spot it in a heartbeat.
If, however, you're renovating for your own future use (maybe sell in a year or two?), either is fine, just avoid anything that will need to be changed out when you do put the home on the market. I've had hardwood in my kitchen for over 10 years and it still looks like new, even with kids and pets.
Merry Christmas
- Betty Best, RE/MAX Allegiance, VA
Might mention that with radient heat those stone/tile can be nice and warm... just have to look at taste, style of the current kitchen and needs...
I don't know, Robert, what's the best hair style or cut of suit for someone?

Most flooring companies provide design services, and I would either go that route or contract a decorator on my own.

We're the professionals when it comes to selling real estate; decorators and designers are professionals, too.

Some pros to a wood floor is the look and warmth it will give a room. However, they are less durable than tile and can become worn more easily. A great alternative is a laminate wood floor (like Pergo). These are a fraction of the cost compared to a real wood floor. They also have improved on the look and can mimic a real wood floor. If you have children, pets or just a high traffic area like a kitchen this may be a great alternative. Tile works well in areas like a bathroom, because of the versatility it provides. It is very easy to clean and is extremely durable. We have seen many homes that have tile, laminate or wood floors, it all comes down to personal preference! To see many examples of different styles for floors, visit our site.
It really boils down to a matter of personal preferences and lifestyle--wood flooring, although warm and easier on the feet, is susceptible to water damage--tiles/stone, are durable, they can be harder and colder to the feet, and may be susceptible to breaking upon impact....
There are pros and cons to both. The tile floor can crack if something heavy is dropped, which happens a lot in a kitchen. The hardwood is not as easy to clean up after an oil spill or something hot is spilled. You wind up refinishing it more than you would in other areas because of the traffic. Personally, I think that the tile looks better, but probably does not last as long as the hardwood.