Design & Decor in 98116>Question Details

Sue, Home Owner in 98116

Best countertop colors for light oak cabinets and terra cotta tile floor? Leaning toward solid surface.

Asked by Sue, 98116 Sat Nov 26, 2011

Answers

11
Hi Sue!

The answer depends on whether you plan on selling very soon or you plan on staying and enjoying the home.

If you are selling soon, I would suggest a neutral earth-tone color, such as a light tan or brown. This color would compliment the terra cotta tile floor but be darker than the light oak cabinets. I would also suggest a less expensive material such as a Formica.

If you plan on staying in the home for a while, then I would still suggest an earth-tone but possibly a bit darker with some color. Granite would be a nice choice for a hard surface as many earth-tone granites have some wonderful colors with reds, browns and sometimes even speckles of green. However, be cautious when choosing granite as the small sample used to choose may not be completely representative of the larger piece.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 3, 2011
It doesn't matter what you do, some buyers will hate it anyway. The best rule of thumb is to try to appeal to the broadest group of buyers while doing something you'll enjoy--Keep it basic, don't go nuts and do any wild colors, unless you plan to live there for a long time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Sue, I am surprised you are using Oak for cabinets, but if so, I would do a solid surface and tile that has good contrast to the cabinets. Take a door & tile sample to a counter store & look at them together.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Sue,
Bring a sample of your cabinet color to the countertop samples to make sure they look good together. If you are using Formica, go with a light neutral color. Granite, Silestone and Tile come in so many colors & hues that you need to consider both you cabinets, flooring and your fixtures.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Hello Sue,

Make sure that you get lots of samples and bring them back to the space they will be used. Hopefully your final lighting is in place. Windows i.e. natural light and the type of fixtures you have for lighting will have a large effect on how things look and go together. Then if you are remodeling for your own enjoyment ask a couple friends their opinion how things go together in the actual space and then go for it!
Hey Sue,

See if you can pick up a sample of Santa Cecilia - I have found it to be very versatile with many different decors and lighting. Check the link. I would however, recommend stainless steel appliances with it. It looks great!

Have fun,
Linda
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011
I have the same color scheme in my kitchen. I used a Corian counter that is light beige and white with a white side inlay in the edge. It looks great and goes well with the cabinets and floor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
It depends, Sue, it depends.

You should bring a designer in; stores that sell countertops will often provide design services. There are too many variables - we don't know the temperature or coverage of the artificial lighting, we don't know about natural lighting or what the windows look out too, we don't know about the shadows the cabinets create . . .

If you don't know your way around a color wheel, you really need a designer.

granite can now be had for 30-35 per sq ft great value
I did a Kitchen with granite; the slab was called "Golden Beaches".
I don't know if they use universal names.
It was basically dark brown, but it had some light brown and gold flakes and gold rivers in it.
Don't know if your taste is like mine; but it was to-die-for.

Good luck and may God bless