Sheri A. Pel…, Real Estate Pro in Saint Charles, IL

Before I install an art niche in the Campton Hills, IL house I'm trying to sell ($879K), are niches "dated" in Illinois? Thanks!

Asked by Sheri A. Pellegrini, Saint Charles, IL Mon Nov 15, 2010

Answers

3
Having an art degree myself, I can appreciate what you are thinking about doing. Tactifully done, they can add to a home of your stature. Will you get dollar for dollar back on it? I think not. Will it make your home sell faster? Probably not, unless you are really improving a neglected space. Depending on the "updatedness" of your home, you may want to spend the same money where it matters most- kitchen and baths.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 16, 2010
Sheri,
Having worked with builders both small and large, my opinion is to do a "to be built" rather than spending dime one improving the dirt you have. In a section of our MLS, we can put all the beautiful pictures, sizes and drawings of one of your homes -already built. Even mention the corian countertops and your art niches! Sell it on your lot, though nothing really exists... except for the lot. The buyer than can then build with you or procure your services to do a custom home. Yes, it is amusing when drive bys call and say -hey there is no home on the lot you listed... but several of my clients made money that way and consumers get what they really want, rather then settling for a spec home.
Broker Jerry Grodesky
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jerry! Kitchen and bathrooms are already top-quality and new. I'm just adding some more crown molding and started wondering about an art niche. Without any spec houses in progress right now, I'm bored and itching to tweak the one that's still on the market!!