M, Home Buyer in New Jersey

whats the best way to fix a bathroom

Asked by M, New Jersey Sun Dec 23, 2007

whats the best way to fix a bathroom do it yourself or hire a contractor. How much it costs generally to fix a bathroom in NJ ?

Answers

9
I usually find that fixing it myself is the best way... at least according to my contractor that's the best way to do it... he has a daughter in college, and if I try to fix it myself, first... he gets to charge me more for the final repair, and he can use the money.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2007
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I fix my sister's toilet problem in San Diego from NJ over yahoo instant messenger and her pc camera. When my tenant called bath tub shower leaking and contractor estimate over $700 due to the fact he needs to knock down the wall and replace the diverter, and fix the wall up. Well, my amigo tenant's wife found the super at neighbor apartment to fix it for only $10! Since super has a whole box of old parts. My medical student's bath ends up cost me $6,500 to renovate. I got a toilet blocked, so I just told everyone not to use it, years later, the problem resolved by itself. Different people have different requirement. and different tolerance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 27, 2007
Depends on what you mean by "fix a bathroom." Anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand if you do it yourself; maybe double that for a contractor. On the one hand, lots of people tackle those repairs and upgrades themselves, and some do a pretty good job. (Doesn't take much to replace faucets or a toilet.) On the other hand, some people botch the more complicated jobs--tiling, or instance.

Read Elvis' advice. Give it a shot. But be prepared to bring in a contractor. Two other considerations: Your listed as a "home buyer." If that's what you're considering, make sure you have someone who knows plumbing and other repairs look at the bathroom before you buy (or base your offer on your assumption that repairs are cheap. What may look inexpensive to you might actually be a pretty expensive undertaking.

And the flip side is: If you're planning on fixing up a bathroom to sell a property, remember that homebuyers generally pay the most attention to the kitchen and baths. So, on the one hand, you do want your bathrooms to look good and be in good repair. On the other hand, though, a poorly done repair (uneven tiles, a vanity placed too close to the door so it doesn't open properly, etc.) will detract from the value and saleability of your home. You want to make sure the final product looks professional.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 24, 2007
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
M....

I am not sure what you mean by "fix the bathroom"? If it is minor repair, i.e. faucets, flooring or minor floor damage or replace shower, toilet or tub. What is your field of experience?

If it is work you can do and have a great finished product, go for it. Remember to get permits for items required by your local city ordinances. good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Its a great questions, but i'm wondering are you updating or fixing the bathroom?

Let me clarify.

Updating would mean the bathroom needs to be brought up to date with todays bathroom standards (ie no formica). This would involved in some cases gutting the bathroom and starting from scratch, but you want to make sure that the materials you use complement the rest of your house.

Fixing would mean fixtures or other entities of the bathroom need to be fixed and depending on the extent of damage in many cases you can zip over to home depot or hire a general contractor.

In either case I would start with a home depot or lowes representative as picking their brains can be helpful.!

Good Luck, let me know if i can help!

John Davis, Realtor
RE/MAX VILLAGE SQUARE
Direct: 973-944-5038
Office: 973-509-2222 x174

http://www.njpads.com

GET YOUR CUSTOMIZED MARKET SNAPSHOT
http://market.njpads.com
Web Reference: http://www.njpads.com
Are we talking to completely renovate the bathroom? If so a half bathroom can cost you anywhere between $2,000-3,000 if you hire a contractor. A full bathroom should on average run you about $5,000 (both quotes include the materials) - This is basic home depot products. Nothing fancy. You should provide the contractor with your own materials and get a quote for just labor. A MASTER BATHROOM can definitely run you a lot more than $5,000 for a basic setup and could run you close to $10,000 depending on the size.

You can save a lot of money by doing the demolition yourself, hiring a helper to remove the items into a dumpster (which you can rent) - Then "GCing" the project (Genceral Contracting) a licensed plumber to run the plumbing, an electrician to update your wiring to fit the new needs (if applicable) - a general contractor handy person to install tile, sheetrock and adding the vanity, tub and so on. You can paint and put in the trim
Web Reference: http://www.agentjustin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2007
thanks Don thisis great advice I am looking into a house that needs some work and i have negotiated a good discount plue have a home contingency clause to cover myself if my home inspector finds something crazy ..
If you are selling a property, your buyer will ask you about past problems and remedies. Some buyers may prefer that a licensed contractor performed repairs. If you are selling, keep in mind that any savings accrued may cost you in negotiations with a buyer. You define yourself as a buyer, so perhaps your inquiry pertains to a home you want to purchase?

If you are going to live in the home for a long time, and have good skills, you can certainly try your hand at the repairs.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Thanks I think I am going to look to get this done myself with some help from some other friends who have good experience... for me have not done it before but with good expert advice can really catch on !!!