Joe, Home Buyer in Bellflower, CA

what color should I paint my house?

Asked by Joe, Bellflower, CA Fri Dec 9, 2011

I just purchase a house and I'm renting it out. I can't seem to figure out what color I should paint it. Can you help?

Answers

32
Virginia Clark’s answer
What a great question! Do make sure there are no restrictions on an exterior paint color. If there are, well, there's your answer. If no restrictions, look at the neighborhing houses and see if there is a certain "feel." If so, it will help to fit in. An investment property is not the place to make a personal design statement! You want the property to be clean and shiny and well-maintained and welcoming. And visit your favorite paint store or home improvement store and have some fun! In addition to all of the small paint samples, they will have free pamphlets that show combinations of main/trim/accent colors that work well together. Many stores even have themed pamphlets such as Spanish/Traditional/etc. Remember that you can buy paint in a sample size, and go home and paint swatches so that you can view the color in real life, and at different times of day. And remember: always keep leftover paint, clearly labeled, available for later touchup work! Enjoy the new house!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Yes Joe, what did you decide. Send us a picture.

Lesley Harris, Realtor
(562) 673-0943
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 28, 2011
Dear Joe:
Call Timoti Painting Company in Fountain Valley and they will help you decide based on the most popular colors requested by homeowners.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Look at the colors of other house around your house and that is a good Place to start. Also many hoa's have restrictions on what colors you are allowed to use when painting a house. Make sure to check with your hoa prior to doing any work on a home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Find a neutral palette scheme. Trim can be a different color from the base but should still be in that same palette. You do not want to have the home that is the boldest on the block or the one that draws the most attention. You do want attention drawn to it for being wonderfully pleasant. Also choose a color that is going to be available years down the line or easily replicated so that you can do touch ups on it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Joe,

We have bought and sold many properties for our own account as well as advising clients on their purchases. In many cases painting was required. I have also been out looking at property with hundreds of clients. While everyone has their own tastes, the overwhelming majority respond better to warm colors, and nothing crazy.

Go to a paint store and ask to look at warm and cool color palettes - they should have brochures with both - and decide for yourself. Just remember you are not painting it for you, you're painting to be the most inviting for others.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Beige! Definitely Beige.
You do not want the most noticible house on the block. You want one that blends in.
Most important of all, you want a color that is easy to remember and easy to spot and patch: You want to be able to return in three years and touch it up without having all the touches show up.

Think; easy to keep clean.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Personally, I think a nice light gray looks really classy. You can use your front door as an accent color! This question was asked long ago, so your Trulia friends want to know how it turned out.
Maybe a neutral color such as off-white.
Find the best looking house in your neighborhood and paint it like theirs.
I like beigey colors for main area and contrasting cocoa brown or white trim with a red front door. Yellow does get the looks, my ol aunt swears that bees like the yellow and wouldnt do it.
HI Joe,

As long as your home looks fresh, using contemporary colors....and doesn't stand out as the "crazy" home on the street, you'll be fine. Each neighborhood has it's own personality, so work with that.

You'll have a bit more flexibility for a rental, our rental market is very strong, but try not to be the "stand out" home on the street.

Karen
Bold colors can attract Buyers just as easily as they can turn other Buyers off. Go with a neutral color to appeal to a broader range of Buyers!
Neutral colors are usually the better choice.
I just finished reading a "fun" book called 1000 & 1/2 Random Facts. One of the "facts" was that a house painted yellow sold 47% faster. Personally...I'm not a "yellow" fan...and I really can't attest to the accuracy of the "facts" in the book...but a fun read none the less!
Web Reference: http://www.homesbuddy.com
White always shows better.It looks clean and you can give client the option to paint without spending alot.
Camo will work. Given that the US economy is near total collapse you will not want to stand out.
Sherwin Williams has an app that you can use to determine colors. I have my clients use the app on some surrounding homes and then decide what colors as to not look to bold. Good luck Ed
Web Reference: http://www.edacevedo.com
Joe,

A lot depends on style and surrounding, but bold colors are not recommended. We recently painted both a modern building and one built in 1907 with the following color scheme and they book look awesome:

Mfr - Dunn Edwards
Base of building color: fig
Upper building color: new cork
all trim - antique white

If you email me I'll send you some photos

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Earth tones and neutral are always best when doing a rental that way you will appeal to the majority of lookers.
Joe, if you're planning on becoming a landlord of several units then I suggest you standardize on interior and exterior colors so you don't create a problem for yourself when it becomes time to turn the unit around for the next tenant. Moreover find a local small long established paint supplier and do business with them. You will always be able to get paint that matches your units. You may save a few cents at the Big Box stores on the can of paint but as soon as styles change, or the paint guy quits you'll never get a color to match again. What a hassle! Use an off white light tan for interiors and pick exterior colors that fit into the local neighboorhood. Here is where you can go to LOWES and get thier exterior paint flyers and they show good pics of matching BODY, TRIM and ACCENT colors on typical homes--good luck!
Joe - What color did you decide on?
Beige, or neutral colors are always good, you can always accept it with the trim. Speak with a couple good painters in the area and they can usually show you some samples of what the colors will look like, many of them also have pictures of homes they have painted.

Best of luck,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-586-0364
Safe is always the best choice. Beige, soft gray and white are safe and popular colors. These colors appeal to the widest range of buyers. I have worked with builders who have created very interesting homes in the area and all of the homes were a different shade of beige. The architecture was never beige!
Neutral with a darker trim. As a rental property you want the home to blend in with the surrounding area. I also recommend driving around to find a combination you like. Most homeowners are happy to share paint colors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 10, 2011
Earth tones if you're an investor. You will find them much easier to maintain and the overall cross section of renters couldn't care less because it's not their home to maintain. I would definitely stay away from multiple colors and by all means avoid white.
Neutral is the way to go. Make sure to check with your town to make sure that you don't have to pick one of their colors!
beige and creams are always the rich looking way to go.Just don't go crazy with color and try to blend with roof color as well.The more neutral the better.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi, Joe -

Beige with dark trim sounds like a great plan! Remember to take before and after pictures, even if just for fun. It will remind you of how the house first looked and the difference a paint job can make. Best of luck with your investment home!

Virginia Clark
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate
Virginia.Clark@apreus.com
DRE #01223387
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hello Joe,
Whatever you decide, keep it neutral. You do not want to get the paint color on sale that turns out to be a pink “ Peptobismo”. Also if you have an association, you may need to talk with the Board members and present the color to the committee (review your C C & R’s)

Lesley Harris, Realtor
(562) 673-0943
lesleysells@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hey Joe,

Great question. Because I have not seen your home I would not have a clue. However; You can take photos of your home and take it to most paint stores and load them on the stores computer and virtually paint your home. you can even do it on your home computer at some sites.

Good luck and have a great holiday,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hello Joe, Benjamin has a web site that will help you decide, http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/explore-pai…
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011