Curb Appeal in 10573>Question Details

Mmuller, Home Seller in Rye Brook, NY

me again about exterior paint colors- what do buyers want?

Asked by Mmuller, Rye Brook, NY Thu May 21, 2009

Thanks for the answers. The house across street is a taupe with white trim. The next house over is grey with white. The house on other side is white and the next is a beige with white. Next to dad's hous eis another beige stucco- very ugly. And on other side of us is a white vinyl with brick. Many of other houses on street are white.I felt that a color in blue family would be jarring, and not fit in. But when I said yello- I am really saying a cream or beige yellow cream. I have also considered a muted green-taupe. or a greenish grey as again it links with the earthtones. I do think that the grey on house now is terribly dark. It used to be a lighter grey but I also want a change. I noticed that a house that had sold in a dusty blue was repainted recently in a dusty tealish color. So many choices. Wondered what buyers are asking for. The shingles are the old fashioned kind. Grandfather bulit in the Twenties. We are putting in improvements in and out, but not overboard.

Answers

2
M,

Buyers are more concerned with the schools, taxes, number of bedrooms, age of the home etc. and generally pay very little attention to the color unless it is overwhelmingly bad.

Our recommendation is to do what many people do when considering painting their homes. Drive around and look for similar homes, paying close attention to their colors. There's no point in reinventing the wheel for something so simple as the color of a home. Most homeowners would be happy to share the brand and color of their paint.

Hi, I have a great article on paint color choices and how they can affect a sale. I will see if I have an online copy to email you if you want otherwise I can give you the hard copy. I am a lifelong Rye brook resident so if you want I could stop by (no strings attached) and walk the property with you through the eyes of a buyer. I have worked with a ton of buyers and pay close attention to what they like, don't like, etc. I also stay on top of the trends. We can do this for the interior as well and I'll point out little things that can make a huge difference.

Christopher Pagli
Associate Broker
Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023