Curb Appeal in 19426>Question Details

amazingtim, Home Buyer in 19426

Would parking spot numbers painted on the curb decrease town home values?

Asked by amazingtim, 19426 Tue Sep 24, 2013

I live in a townhouse, with 2 parking spaces in front of each unit. The association has started stenciling in the unit numbers on the curb, to identify who owns the spots. A neighbor is raising all kind of Hades, saying that the numbers are decreasing everyone's property value, because it looks like an apartment complex now. Is he right (is there any actual evidence), or is he making that up?

Answers

11
In my expert opinion, no, this would have no impact on property values. Many townhomes communities have numbered parking spaces.

It sounds like he just personally doesn't like them and is trying to rationalize the same.

Instead of complaining, has your neighbor thought of getting involved & suggesting they do it in a tasteful font and a discrete size?

He could work WITH them, not against them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
Assigning parking spaces may be an intangible positive. In high density communities without off-street parking amenities such as a driveway, the convenience afforded by the assigned parking spaces could contribute to a more positive living experience. There are oftentimes outliers, i.e. homeowners who have 3+ cars, in these types of communities who disregard common courtesies and end up commandeering parking spaces that should be for the benefit of all. Other instances include such times when one has the occasional gathering; now guests can be directed to "common" parking areas so as not to inconvenience nearby neighbors.Finally, there are multiple communities in the area that have established similar arrangements, and my clients have never really prioritized this as an issue that would have them select one community over another.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
I've never seen evidence to suggest insuring unit owners have designated parking spaces would reduce property values at any appreciable level.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
You may have a valid question, although your neighbor may also be over-thinking things. I don't know if that is something quantifiable, because it could be an issue of a potential buyer's personal taste. How long ago did the association make this change? Was there input from the owners? Could this just be sour grapes on your neighbor's part?

Message me privately, and let me know what development you are talking about. I can do a little digging for you.

Joshua Stein, REALTOR®, e-Pro®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office:(610) 828-9558 * Cell: (215) 866-8030
Direct:(484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com
Blog: http://jsteinhomes.wordpress.com/
PA License #RS317975
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
To be honest I've never heard if any proof that such a measure would reduce value. If the entire community has the stenciled numbers than all homes will follow the same conformity and appeal. In fact, this is customary in many townships regardless of design. Good luck, and if you ever want to discuss values of your home please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Have a great evening.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
I do not believe parking spot numbers decreases curb appeal. It takes away the confusion of who should park where.
I'll concur with all of those who have indicated the value of homes in a neighborhood is probably not affected by numbering parking spaces.

Making sure they are done neatly - having dedicated spaces might actually be a positive (while not increasing value, it may be desirable) and assure a potential buyer that there are at least 2 spaces they can park without a long walk from a "guest" parking area.
Unless the numbering is done very conspicuously, I do not see how that could affect home values. If anything, it shows the HOA is organised and active in managing the development.
No. This should not impact your resale value as long as it is done professionally.
I can't see in anyway how that would lower the property value of your home in any measurable way. If anything I would say it's a positive for any potential buyers to know that they'll have a guaranteed parking spot near their door every night.
In my opinion, the painted numbers do not affect the value of the homes, but they will be a positive to a potential buyer. Without assigned parking, potential buyers may be concerned about where they will be able to park when coming home with groceries or children. Assigned parking allows a buyer piece of mind that if they purchase a home in that community they will be guaranteed parking in front of their respective home.

A compromise may be to try and find a more aesthetically pleasing manner of painting or designating the spots in order to better conform with the neighborhood.