Curb Appeal in Longmont>Question Details

Boulder Suz, Real Estate Pro in Longmont, CO

What are the best trees to plant in Colorado?

Asked by Boulder Suz, Longmont, CO Sat Jun 23, 2012

Some trees flourish in our dry climate, while others have to be carefully planted and nurtured. Are there trees you can put in the ground and forget about?

Answers

20
Austrian Pines, Aspens, and most trees do well here after the root system is established.
Apple and cherry Trees like it here as well. You can not forget about the "Blue Spruce"
Pine trees take more care to get rooted but thrive. For the first year or 2 you can not "forget" about the trees till they take. You will need to make sure the root ball is moist.
You can Google your question for more info.
Hope this helps,
Check out this pdf!! it's perfect for your question ...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 1, 2013
The faster the tree grows, the faster that it will die and the easier the wood will break and damage the tree. Find a list of trees that are planted by your city. This will be a good starting point. Trees like red maple, Linden, Norway maple, and some Locust trees (podless, Thornless).

Cotton wood and Aspen trees, while pretty, are a mess and grow too fast. This means they will break easy in the wind, die fast.

That said, these trees offer great fall color and sound good in the wind.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 5, 2012
I love ASPENS which do not like windy exposure, and are a tuber like bamboo... grow fast, and are pretty. Make a great sound when leaves have fall wind. No need to drive the PEAK-TO-PEAK if you plant thiese awesome treess that can often propagate if you find males and females. they like wet spot in lawns(low spots). I also like cork screw willows for the same reason. Black Alders are hardy also, and can provie privacy on a smaller yard.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
The arbor-ist for Berthoud recommended Lindens and Bradford Pears for nicely shaped and sized trees for this climate. He also said a shade master locust is high on his list. Any tree you plant will need extra water to be established the first couple years - but these three will thrive after getting that care and attention.
What are the best tall skinny evergreens to grow on the front range? Do Cypress Evergreens grow well here?
Stay vigilant on aspens. They tend to send up suckers. They are absolutely gorgeous when you see a stand of them.
Check out the Tree Farm (HWY 52) as they have experts on hand to help with this. I find Evergreens work great here and for a hedge European privet works really well. Lilacs (a bush do really well here) Aspen while pretty, only last about 14 years on the plains and do send up shoots. I dig up the shoots and replant for a free tree when the older ones die.
We will be coming up on Spring soon and questions like this will become current once more. Our family has found the advice we get from Sturtz and Copeland is excellent. It is a good place to start when you are not sure about the best solutions to your gardening questions. Link below.

Ron Rovtar
I have been wondering the same thing. I planted a rosemary bush this fall and it died in a matter of days. This may be to the lack of my green thumb but I am not sure. I do know evergreen trees do well here. The last couple of years have been really hard on trees though due to the drought.
You can really see the trees from this forest of ideas. Great suggestions. We had a terrible storm that dumped a ton of snow last year and broke branches and even destroyed a few trees. My neighbor's gorgeous tree split at the crotch. That poor tree got buzzed off at the stump in spring.

Our cottonwoods and maples survived OK. The spruce trees, of course, did fine.

The trick is to shake your trees when there is a big storm. Our son took a broom out and pushed on some limbs (without harming the bark). The snow was up to his knees. He didn't wait for the snow to stop flying and he had to go back after enough snow accumulated again. But shaking (not too vigorously) did the trick.

The big snows tend to carry a lot of moisture. The extra weight is too much for most trees. Be careful, though. You don't want to be out there if your tree branches are touching power lines. (Yikes!) In Longmont, you want to call when its nice out and have the limbs trimmed.

The utility company (which is the city of Longmont) will trim trees in the right of way. But, homeowners are responsible for trimming any limbs growing from their private property into the right of way. See this link for details:
http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/lpc/gen/tree_trimming.htm

Contact the city from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. to turn off power by calling (303) 651-8386.
AMEN Ann! We planted 3 aspens when we moved to our new home 12 years ago and it has been nothing but constant cutting/pulling of the myriads of little aspen shooters. Looks like a battle zone for our landscaping and sad to say the little shooters are winning! Plus they give off something that kills the lawn around where they pop up to be able to dominate the area! I would stay away from aspens if you are planning on having a more manicured lawn. I was also just told that the aspens do much better health wise at higher elevations (not along the front range) and the ones that are planted here do not live much longer than 12/15 years typically.
Do NOT plant aspens unless you want lots of little trees growing in your lawn.
This is the third home I have owned in 20 years inBoulder County. We planted Ponderosa and Austrian Pines which have all done well. The aspens have always been disappointing after just afew years, they get black leaves and eventually diseases that make them look terrible. The garden centers advise against planting them here but they still sell them. I love our honey locust trees and our maples. The Cottonwoods and Aspens send roots out all over and tiny baby trees that make your lawn uneven and dangerous to walk on in bare feet.
Cottonwoods are great if you (or your neighbors) are not allergic to the early summer "cotton" that seems to keep filling the air for about a month!

Ron
The state tree is going to be a cactus if we don't get some relief from the heat.

You are going to have expensive trimming with a tree like a cottonwood. Great trees for shade, though. So, the cottonwood earns its living if it shades the house.
Advice from local nurseries are your best bet.

Aspens are popular and very "Colorado", but die off in 10 years in lower elevations. Blue Spruces are very "Colorado",but take up a LOT of space. Cottonwoods heave sidewalks with their roots.

I paid $125.00 for a designer from The Tree Farm in Longmont to come to my house and map out suggestions.

Best money I ever spent The trees he suggested (Pear) didn't encroach on the neighbors property or sidewalks, so I don't have to have expensive tree service.
Hi BoulderSuZ:

In Boulder and Longmont there has been a long tradition of planting a wide variety of trees, many not indigenous to the area. And they all seem to thrive once they get going, though they sometimes need a little extra water. Two that I especially like are redbuds, with flower-covered branches in the spring and heart-shaped flowers in the summer; and catalpas, which are a little weedy in that they grow fast, but which also can have gracefully curved trunks as they reach for sunlight.

Ron
I would say that you want LIVE trees,

But I guess you could make an argument about the amount of care you would need to give a dead one.
The Blue Spruce is a beautiful tree! I like the sound of Bradford Pears. We planted cottonless Cotton trees and they shot up like weeds. I like Aspens, too. I have not had luck with them. I like some trees I see while walking neighborhoods. I just haven't had time to research them. Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Come fall, I'm doing some more planting.
We were told by an arborist that lindens, Bradford pears and shade master locust trees do well in our climate. The lindens however, do need to be watered more than the others. The Bradford pear has done very very well and is a beautiful fruitless flowering tree.