Curb Appeal in 76010>Question Details

John, Home Buyer in Fort Myers, FL

We will be putting my elderly dad's home on the market soon. Does the return on investment justify the cost of replacing the home's slider?

Asked by John, Fort Myers, FL Thu Sep 20, 2012

windows ? Home built in 1962, still has original single-pane aluminum slider windows. Am struggling with the Q of whether to invest in new windows now to value and curb appeal, or gamble that a buyer may wish to lower their offer to reflect the needed replacements. Opinions ?

Answers

9
Carla Pennington, Realtor(R)’s answer
My "rule of thumb" answer in these situations is do all the renovations necessary to truly raise the value, or do none of them and take what you can get by pricing it at a price to get it sold. Otherwise, you invest cash in the hope that you will get it back, which isn't a good way to invest.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
"MEETING YOUR NEEDS AND EXCEEDING YOUR DREAMS!"

Personally, I would only bring the properties condition up if it will place more money back in your pocket. This update would definately help however it might not be necessary. Please feel free to contact me directly depending on where your estates price point is, is what will determine the need to add new windows or not.

Real Estate Consutlant 3x US Army Vet.
Joseph Fernandez
cell: 817-975-7258
off: 817-635-1157
I have owned and sold several in your neighborhood. Call me and we will get you sold. 817-988-7653. Jeff Cassell.
Thanks to all for the candid and speedy replies ! Judging from the responses, I think we'll hold off on the new windows for now.

New paint, new landscaping & lighting, and a thorough cleaning are the order of the day. It's not easy trying to undo twenty years of neglect :)

As to the subject of investors, my brother and I have consulted with neighbors and we are all in agreement that we do not want the home to become a rental down the road - we'd prefer to put in on the market and make it a private sale through a realtor.

Thanks again for all the advice - Trulia ROCKS !

John
Difficult to render an opinion unless I was on property . Many times families realize it is an older home looking more for "bone structure" open floor plan.

If any seller lists their home with using my services. We also market on my radio show for no additional charge !

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
News Personality On Air Radio Show
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Hi John
Do not replace the windows you will not recover that cost. There are updates that you could and should consider before marketing the home. If you would like help, or just an evaluation of the home please contact me directly.

John Straub
817-729-4281
john@dfwfamilyrealty.com

http://www.dfwfamilyrealty.info
Bruce pretty much nailed it. If the rest of the home still needs updating, just replacing the windows probably won't do much for the overall value. Also as Bruce said, there are investors that might be interested in taking the home off of your hands AS-IS.

I'm a Realtor and also one of those investors that Bruce mentioned. If you don't want to bother with investing in updating, don't want to deal with listing it on the market and would like a quick and easy solution, I might be able to offer you a cash offer and close as soon as title work is complete.

I can also assist with selling it the traditional way by listing it for sale. I have lived and worked in Arlington for over 30 years and know the market extremely well. Everyone has different needs, which is what I try to cater to. Please feel free to give me a call or send me an email by clicking on my photo. Also please review my profile by clicking on my photo and make sure I sound like the type of person that you would be able to work with, either as your Agent, or your Buyer.

Also, just to confirm, are you talking about a house in Arlington in Zip Code 76010? If you happen to be talking about a house in Fort Myers, FL. I probably won't be able to assist you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Joe Stone - Realtor ®
Exclusive Homes Realty
682-777-0836
Yes, Joe - it is 76010.... an older section of the city near Collins & Mitchell. Thanks for taking the time to rely to a noob question.
Flag Thu Sep 20, 2012
We need to look at the whole picture......if the home needs other updates too, I'm not sure the windows will make a difference.

I can go by and take a look at the how if you like and tell you what I think needs to be done to get a sale.
We also have investor buyers who will buy as is, but of course they price the updates, overhead, and profit into their bids...but it means you don't have to do a thing.

Bruce Lynn
214-675-6992
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
If the home is in Arlington, my office is here and we have remodeled hundreds of homes in our career of 22 years. We would do a market analysis and see if it justifies the money. If you want more information, just email me the address and your contact number so we can discuss the particulars. Send it to jeff.cassell@txinvestment.com or call me on my cell at 817-988-7653. Thank you.

Jeff Cassell
Texas Investment Real Estate Group
817-469-1625 ext 3419 Office
817-988-7653 Cell
jeff.cassell@txinvestment.com