Curb Appeal in Philadelphia>Question Details

Tiffany, Home Buyer in Port Richmond, Phila...

Stucco the exterior of my Port Richmond row home..Good Investment?

Asked by Tiffany, Port Richmond, Philadelphia, PA Sat Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I live in Port Richmond and planning to do some improvements in my home. I have the issue with the old brick homes expanding and its showing on the exterior. I was thinking of either fixing the brick exterior or just doing a stucco exterior. I am planning to sell at least within 2 years and which method is the best reselling value. I heard the good and bad with stucco, but at the same time love the look, but like to see if its worth doing for reselling value. Thanks

Answers

2
Tiffany,

Our buyers in the Port Richmond and Fishtown neighborhoods hands down prefer the original brick exteriors. I'd have to guess about 80% of them feel quite strongly about that. The trend is towards maintaining and preserving the home's natural and original features while bringing it up to date with high efficiency even green (if you will) elements that will save you and the prospective new owner money over time. Brick pointing and a good sand blast or washing of the old brick will bring back the homes curb appeal. Nice clean capping around the window will add a clean line and a sharp contrast to the brick.

That is our take on the matter. I hope our opinion gives you some food for thought.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2009
A stucco house is a matter of preference. How would a stucco house fit in with the neighborhood? Are there other stucco homes or would it stand out? Not that you want to be like everybody else, but sometimes it may put buyers off if it;s something that is not usually found in the area. It depends on the style of house as well. A beautiful brick Georgian wouldn't look good in stucco. A Mediterranean or or Spanish style home would. If you do decide to go the route of stucco, make sure you research it carefully and find a company that has a lot of experience with it.