Curb Appeal in Dyer>Question Details

Loren, Home Seller in Dyer, IN

New cabinets or new central air???

Asked by Loren, Dyer, IN Wed Sep 26, 2007

i have a beautiful home in dyer, indiana that i have had on the market for 4 months. the house is well received but there are a few things that could stand freshening. if given the choice of new central air or new cabinets, which one do you think would potentially move the property faster?

Answers

12
When you put in new central air, you'll be required to meet current federal and state energy efficiency and air duct sealing requirements. New federal air duct sealing requirements were adopted a couple of years ago that require air duct testing for leaks when you put a new HVAC system in place. Some states, such as CA, even implemented stricter than the federal requirements. I mention this just to alert you to the fact that the there may be additional expenses over and above the cost of the new A/C unit and installation.

Not knowing what your current cabinets look like and what if anything is wrong with your air conditioning, I don't know what would be best in your situation. The thing about changing the cabinets is that it really only makes sense if you also update the counter tops. This can become costly.

Like the other posts, I would highly recommend that you consult with a real estate professional before you undertake any improvements. You may end up doing nothing and just opt to offer a credit to the new buyer who then can make a choice. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.go2kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
From a Buyers view, hands down - new central air.

Choose a good high energy efficient unit and it will add value instantly. Cabinets are nice, but they don't help you sleep on a hot summer night plus you don't have to worry about an AC unit pleasing everyone's design taste. Everyone likes to be cool in the hot summers....

Also, if you happen to have a old furnance look into buying a package deal for the two, I know mine was cheaper to get them together.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2007
If your air conditioning system is working, I would replace the cabinets first. I think that investment will be more noticeable to buyers. A lot of people form the opinion of a home based on its kitchen. Worn-out cabinets will certainly make the property harder to sell.

http://www.sierraremodeling.com/cabinets-countertops/
Loren,
Paying out of pocket now for C/A or new cabinets while the home is listed might not be the best course of action.There are going to be times during that process you will not be able to show your homeThis is not the best market to miss a single opportunity,nor do I think you should take it off the market for any length of time to do the work.
In my opinion I think you should get estimates done as to how much each job will cost then come up with a number based on both estimates, offer that amount as a credit for those items a "buyer's incentive".For example,the cabinets you choose may not be what the buyer would choose for themselves.A credit will allow them to purchase cabinets of their liking or the C/A system, whatever matters most to them. This alone will save you alot of stress and chaos as the work is done.You don't need additional stress to the pressures of selling too.

Best of luck to you
I vote for cabinets. I always hear buyers ruling out homes because of the cabinets. If the a/c system works, I would spend the money on cabinets. How bad are the cabinets? There may be something else that is preventing a sale. Consider other ways to spend that money before you make a decision.
Web Reference: http://www.Boyceteam.com
Hi Loren,

NAR recently polled buyers on what it was they were looking for in homes and central air came in at #2, while garages were #1. This was an interesting study considering the energy costs. I recommend installing the C/A, and perhaps updating your cabinets with a fresh coat of paint and some shiny new hardware. Best of luck to you!
I typically like tackling the cosmetics first, unless the old unit actually does not function properly. No one will bother to ask about the A/C if they are not already interested. I prefer to spend the money first in areas that are immediately noticeable. If the buyer is turned off by the house, who cares about a new A/C? The big question with replacing cosmetics though, is where to stop. You'll need new countertops to go with those new cabinets. And what about the appliances and flooring? If the cabinets are the last piece of the puzzle, and your agent concurs, go for it. If you new cabinets are surrounded by other dated items that you don't plan on upgrading in tandem, however, you'd be just as well off to light your money on fire. If you could post a link to some pictures, we might be able to provide some better opinions.
Hi Loren. I was assuming that you had existing air conditioning. The federal energy efficiency laws apply to new and or replacement HVAC units.
As far as cost is concerned, I think you'd be looking at somewhere around $4,000 - $5,000 depending on the size of the unit. If you have get a unit that's for heating and air it maybe a little bit more. My recommendation would be that you have your existing air conditioning at least serviced and if you choose not to replace it with a new unit, make sure you add it to the 1-year home warranty you are offering (good decision by the way). Having the unit serviced will help showing that it was in working condition before the home warranty went into effect, which is a condition for coverage.
Web Reference: http://www.go2kw.com
Thanks for the feedback! I don't think that it was clear from my post, but the house actually already has central air, and in working condition, but the unit is old (probably at least 20 yrs) and some potential buyers ask me how old it is. I did buy a homeowner's warranty, but do you guys think that putting in a brand new unit would be a good idea? and while we are at it, what is a ballpark figure of a new central air/heating unit? thanks!
Kim is right with central air, if your house doesn't have it already. According to the NAR 2007 profile of homebuyers, the single home feature boyers saythey want most in a new home is central air. Also, one of the 3 features buyers said they;'d be most willing to pay extra for in a home was central air.
However, if you have central air already, then I would go with new cabinets. The problem there is that you open up a can of worms because you may have to replace your countertop and floors, sink, etc. You might be better off just painting the cabinets and putting on new hardware.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Loren
I do agree with Sean strongly! Placing the answer to this question in the hands of your listing Broker to get quality feedback from the potential buyers is key! If it were me, I would get feedback from everybody who looked at the home. If you hear things such as "it was very nice but they are looking for a home with A/C central air... an allowance for the central air could be offered.
In my opinion the cabinets wouldnt be my choice between the two, but every buyer is different. That is what makes selling a home so much fun! It is that "what if" that makes the decision a difficult one. You may have a kitchen person wanting your home, or somebody who recently moved from a colder climate. I would probably concider offering an allowance for either. I also like the ideah of doing the cabinets yourself, if you are a handy person-wich I am not!
Good luck on the sale of your home!
What I would do first is ask your agent to contact the agents of all of the potential buyers and ask them specifically what turned off the buyers from the home. Your agent should be doing this anyway so you can get the best idea of what may need to be changed, replaced, or removed. If your agent won't make these calls, you should consider a new agent. The best reflection of what buyers want is their open and honest feedback.

Other than that, it really depends on the cabinets that are there now. If they've been painted over, maybe you should consider sanding them down and refinishing them yourselves, as it would save you a bunch of money. If not, and they're just old or unsalvageable, maybe you should consider replacing them.

Best of luck to you!

Sean Dougherty
RE/MAX Alliance
http://www.HawaiianShirtGuy.com