Question Details

Debbie Sulli…, Home Owner in 34293

Master bath: what would buyers prefer?

Asked by Debbie Sullivan, 34293 Fri Nov 9, 2007

Our 60s ranch will be completely renovated before we sell. Our master bath is too small for both a tub and a shower and we can't claim any space from our bedroom or closet. Should we install a nice whirlpool or air tub and put shower fixtures above it to have both? Or forget the tub and do a fantastic shower only? We plan to tile and install granite counters, etc. Our current shower is 4x5. Houses of our vintage don't have both shower and tub; newer ones have both.

While it's true that a kitchen renovation brings the biggest dollar value back in sales price (depending on your market the exact amount it actually helps can vary), a bathroom remodel is important. I can tell you one thing, if you already have a tub in another bathroom, then I say the suggestion below about a walk in shower is a good one. If you are eliminating all the tubs, most of my clients from this year would have passed on the house. Yes that surprised me (especially since I am a showerer LOL) but it makes me think that a tub option should at least exist in the home. Also good for children too (tubs). However, if you already have one, then I say a renovation could be good. Here is my caveat. Call a real estate professional in your area before you remodel. That way you can see what a reasonable sale price would be for the remodel. I know that buyers are really looking for already done baths and kitchens. How MUCH you spend on a remodel or upgrade however, can vary. It might make more sense to go 'glam' or it might make more sense to just upgrade. A professional realtor can help with that info. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2007
I am curious as to why you are renovating before you sell? You seldom get 100% of your remodeling dollars back....and its hard to predict buyer tastes. Have you spoken to a local Realtor yet? What have they advised on a complete rennovation?
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 9, 2007
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Consider who is most likely to buy your home, first. In my experience, I have never seen someone pass on a home because the master had a shower and a tub. I have had elderly clients who preferred a shower only (but almost all were willing to have it installed if the rest of the house worked for them). I have however, had several younger moms pass on a house without a tub in the wants to take a bath in the seclusion of her room, rather than the hall bath, and younger families typically do not have a lot of disposable income to afford these improvements after the purchase. Again, figure out who your buyer is most likely to be, ask a few REALTORS in your area what seems to be preferred where you are. Hope that helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 9, 2007
If you have a tub/shower in the hall bath I would say go with a great shower. It may be difficult for elderly to enter a whirlpool tub/shower.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in ,
As an architect, I can tell you that all of my clients want a tub and shower in the master bathroom. I suggest that you do a tub/shower combination.
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124