Curb Appeal in Longview>Question Details

Iain, Home Seller in Longview, TX

Is it a viable investment (ROI) to install slate flooring?

Asked by Iain, Longview, TX Mon Mar 24, 2008

in a master bathroom (which is kind of small) and a granite vanity top? My home is a 3/2 log house with a value of ~$120k in Longview, TX. In the remodel I would also be replacing the one-piece shower/bath with a bath-tub/tiles of a neutral color.
Is slate/granite un-necessary in a home less than $200k or would the minimal cost of materials and 'free labor' justify the expense?

Answers

6
Remodeling projects can increase the value of the property. Kitchens, Baths, and Roofing generally have the highest percentage of return of the cost. However, the extent of the remodeling can be considered an over-improvement for the market area and have a negative effect on the appraised value. In addition, the costs of remodeling projects, improvements, upgrades, and/or additions do not equal increase in appraised value dollar-for-dollar. Any increase is determined by the contribution it makes to the over-all property and by what is acceptable within the property's market area. Here is a link to a remodeling online site that provides averages of cost vs value in different regions of the country to get somewhat of an idea:
http://www.costvsvalue.com/index.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 24, 2008
Lain,

Thank you so much for your question. I am a Realtor in Logview, TX and therefore thought that I would answer your question as well. It would benefit you and your home to make those upgrades to your home as mentioned in your question. Anytime, you make improvements to your home such as flooring, countertops, etc., it does nothing but increase the value of your home and increases your chances of selling morequickly. Good luck and please feel free to email me or call me via cell pone if you have any questions. Christy Wilkinson - The Elite Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 24, 2008
Well; has the Slate lasted FIVE YEARS?
the problem with slate is it breaks of real easy
Hello, I'm 3rd generation in the flooring business & a 2nd generation ASID Interior Designer! I would recommend a less expensive ceramic or porclain tile which looks like slate. Hardwood flooring in a bathroom is just asking for trouble! I also completely disagree with buying close-outs on flooring!! In flooring & tires its NEVER more apparent that you get what you pay for! &many times close-outs are 2nds in disguise! 2nds in tile, slate or granite can be off size, thickness, color, dye lot and make the job look hideous, especially if its a DIY project! +you can find just as good of prices on running line products if you go to the right places! Placing Granite tile on the counter-tops are a GREAT option for what your talking about! It still looks fabulous, you can advertise that its been updated with granite and save a bundle of cash also! If you have any further questions about thin-set mortars, grouts or materials feel free to call 281.FLOORING or e-mail me @ TheFlooringDiva@aol.com
Web Reference: http://www.FWSale.com
Slate flooring in the master bedroom I would not recommend would place hardwood floors

Updating your house will always bring it current when HGTV is watched or in magazine that is what the public sees all the time, going thru homes not updated turns off buyers

IF the labor IS YOU ! I say go for it..... the materials if purchased as closes outs are inexpensive it is always the labor which is the killer

NOTE: I would search for close outs or when you come to Dallas therefore you can get some products that are GREAT, high end, it does not appear that you not in a hurry for remodel. Dallas has some GREAT outlet stores for materials

Go thru builders homes in you are such as Jim Fisher & Associates known buider for Longview, see what the builders are installing in their homes. Here in Dallas that is the trend
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com