Curb Appeal in 94107>Question Details

Faith, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

In San Francisco, how much incremental value (roughly) does a professionally landscaped yard add

Asked by Faith, San Francisco, CA Wed Sep 12, 2007

to the value of a home (with grass, plants around border, mature trees, stone patio, 8 x 12 shed, irrigation system, etc). In Potrero hill.

Answers

4
It would depend on the buyer and the perceived value of the yard. If you are getting a property ready for sale it's important like curb appeal but not as much. You don't want the state of the yard to take away from the home but don't spend 100K on a yard with waterfalls and rock walls without making improvements to the kitchen and bath, which was the case of a house on Laidley St. some years back.
On Potrero you can enhance the value with a nice usable space as you described especially if the access flows from the home as opposed to having to climb down stairs to get there.
As I try to put a quantitative number here to answer your question I find I can’t without more info but I’m asking myself some questions you can answer yourself to arrive at the value. Does the view of the yard enhance the overall impression of the home? Does it expand the usable living space? Are there additional features in the yard, BBQ, hot tub, conversation area, view, etc.? Finally how does it compare to the competition on the market at the time of sale. As you answer all of these questions ask yourself, as if you were a buyer looking at the property, would I pay 10, 15, 25, 30 K more for the property if it had these features.
Most important is do it for your own enjoyment if you’re not doing to sell and if you are doing it sell then do a nice cosmetic presentation don’t over express your individuality.
Web Reference: http://www.jedlane.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 12, 2007
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
I think a nicely landscaped yard inarguably adds to overall appeal. I have a listing that will be closing this week in the Haight that has no yard; another similar listing I sold a month or so ago had a nice yard. We discussed this aspect with our no-yard seller and informed her that the lack of a yard would detract from the overall appeal.

I have clients who purchased a house with a huge yard a couple years ago in Miraloma Park. The yard was the size of two lots. They spent a very large amount of money completely transforming their yard, and I have to believe they could get back a sizeable amount on that investment.

One more thing: I think a yard on a single-family lot will be worth more than one in a condo/shared yard scenario. So if you have a house in Potrero, I'd recommend sprucing up the yard a bit for the ultimate appeal. There's a reason I've recommended that sellers call in gardeners/landscapers when we've gotten their house ready to sell. As for a value on landscaping--that will vary and there's really no data to support a dollar figure, unfortunately.
Web Reference: http://insidesfre.com
Do people want to keep up with maintenance? Indeed it is a simple phone call or basic gardening skills but I say throw in a garage and you'll definitely attract buyers while increasing the value of the property. Just an additional coverage with mechanical entrance. Once again a simple phone call or some basic craftmanship with maybe mission street helpers.
Most people aren't shopping for a yard. Most people are looking for a home. Then they imagine what they can do in their yard.

The landscaped yard will make your property stand out, but I don't think it would add much "value". I suppose the possible return for your investment is that your home may sell more quickly if it has an appealing yard. Good luck.